PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Hi - I’m a briar guy and have never had a Meerschaum. I’m curious, if a Meerschaum really smokes much differently - and if this site would be a good place to shop for one. They seem like they have lots that I like the look of, and the prices seem low being used to good briars.
http://www.meerschaum.com

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
I have a lattice billiard from there that I love a lot. It's a "medium" sized. My brother and father have large sized pipes from there that are, for me, too big.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Didn't expect to see you here, you're responsible for my recent emergency purchase of Black Frigate and Yenidje Highlander!

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I have several meers and have been smoking them a long time. I love them for their aesthetics, design and smokability.
As Chasing said, meers smoke drier, but you can also get a real idea of how the tobacco tastes with the meer. Plus, it just colors up beautifully.
Hope this helps. Shoot us a pic. Would love to see your meer.
BTW, SP.com just had a sale going on Bekler-carved meers. They may still have some. Once you get hooked by the White Queen, you will never be the same.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
My everyday pipe is a meer and enjoy it so much that I am thinking about selling off most of my briar pipes.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Didn't expect to see you here, you're responsible for my recent emergency purchase of Black Frigate and Yenidje Highlander!
I have one of just about every genre of pipe. Plus, the tobacco you bought are classics! :wink:

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Pipes made from block meerschaum tend to shift the flavor spectrum toward the cool, while briar tends toward the warm. Relative to briar, meer provides a highly detailed, almost clinical rendering, imo. With some blends this is great, others less so..but there's joy in the exploration.
No experience with that vendor, but I can say that IMP pipes are great values when they come up as estates.
@BE: aren't the Becklers made with a threaded tenon? If you have one, how's it smoke?
Oh, and PS: Meer pipes can and do ghost...don't let anyone tell you otherwise! The first mere I bought was a "lightly smoked" estate that someone trounced with middleton's cherry...worked on that thing for a year and I would still get a whip of cherry every now and again.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have not purchased a new meerschaum in over 25 years and strangely enough all the old ones I own and smoke don't seem to have much of a noticeable ghost about them but that may be because I smoke the same kind of tobacco that was prevalent in the late 1890s early 1900s.!

anarchisthermit

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2015
My experience with bargain meers has been unsatisfactory, at best. I know this sounds elitist and snobbish, but I consider Altinok as a starting point.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
looking at Altinok then - http://altinokmeerschaumpipes.com/detail.asp?product_id=ME236

might be ice cream time!

Status
Not open for further replies.