PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
Last week, I was browsing smokingpipes.com, not even looking for a new pipe. I was planning on sending in some pipes I dont smoke and maybe getting a new one down the road. I clicked on Misc Estates, and guys, for some reason this pipe called out to me and I couldn't stop thinking about it till I bought it. It's an acorn shape. It's smaller than I usually typically like, but for some reason I couldn't let it not be mine for a minute longer. I'm real excited to get it broken in and smoking. Sorry about the weird picture. My wife was using the work bench for an arts and crafts project and it's a bit disheveled down here.

Attachments

• 20210122_160715.jpg
    20210122_160715.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 19

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Nice pipe. I’ve been eyeing some of his pipes on SP too, they’ve got a bunch of unsmoked ones. He was apparently a guy who worked his way up at the Brigham factory until he ran the shop.

I just bought some Trypis pipes to try, on my tour of Canadian carvers. Not fancy, and the rustication is definitely an acquired taste, but the first one I tried smoked like a dream. I am keeping some unsmoked for when I want some novelty.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Trypis' work has always interested me, and I spotted these in the SP miscellaneous estates, by the dozens. Apparently SP bought a stock of unsmoked Trypis inventory. Years ago, about 2014, one of the Forums members had a line on these and sold three or four or more every week or two. Now that Brigham has gone to Italy for production, Trypis is one of the few Canadian pipes made in Canada. He did more acorn shapes than anyone else I know. His rustication is rough hewn but admirable in its way, rough and ready. These are mostly smaller pipes, but good for clenching and will give a full-length smoke with flake/coin/plug/or rope cuts.

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
Nice pipe. I’ve been eyeing some of his pipes on SP too, they’ve got a bunch of unsmoked ones. He was apparently a guy who worked his way up at the Brigham factory until he ran the shop.

I just bought some Trypis pipes to try, on my tour of Canadian carvers. Not fancy, and the rustication is definitely an acquired taste, but the first one I tried smoked like a dream. I am keeping some unsmoked for when I want some novelty.
This is one of unsmoked ones. I really like the rustication on it. I can't wait to pack it up and give it a try.

Big Dave

Lurker
Feb 15, 2021
Last week, I was browsing smokingpipes.com, not even looking for a new pipe. I was planning on sending in some pipes I dont smoke and maybe getting a new one down the road. I clicked on Misc Estates, and guys, for some reason this pipe called out to me and I couldn't stop thinking about it till I bought it. It's an acorn shape. It's smaller than I usually typically like, but for some reason I couldn't let it not be mine for a minute longer. I'm real excited to get it broken in and smoking. Sorry about the weird picture. My wife was using the work bench for an arts and crafts project and it's a bit disheveled down here.
I started buying his pipes this past fall at SP. Since then I've bought four and I'm waiting for one more coming this week. They smoke great and feel good in my hand, solid and comfortable.

Attachments

• 20201215_133943.jpg
    20201215_133943.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20201022_140424.jpg
    20201022_140424.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20201207_132033.jpg
    20201207_132033.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 5

Big Dave

Lurker
Feb 15, 2021
I got my latest Trypis pipe yesterday, a very nice acorn. Now I just have to wait for the snow to stop and the temps to rise, so I can sit in the garage, have a pipe and wave to the neighbors.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210218-103343_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210218-103343_Gallery.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: tmcg81 and Casual

beef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2021
Ontario
I just picked up two because of the good comments on the forum here. I have smoked one bowl from the pear shape that I purchased. I really like the feel of it. I hope the other smokes as nicely. It's a bent dublin sort of thing.

Reactions: BROBS and tmcg81