PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Here is my first Castello. It is just under 6 inches and weighs 42 grams.

It says "Castello Trademark" on the left side -- Made in Cantu Italy and Carlo Scotti in an oval on the right side

The bottom say "SS 75" with a circle that is a symbol.

The stem appears Acrylic or Lucite and has "Hand Made" "Castello" and the number "3".
tb4rz1r.jpg

kAnPq8f.jpg

v0osot2.jpg

UQ9taLJ.jpg

edqlewk.jpg

WqyfGzr.jpg

UUYoM7Q.jpg

vUy4Et3.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Superb. I got a Costello Sara Eltang stack recently, but it's a bit on the small side. I'd like a full sized stack some day soon.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great looking Castello. That could have had an Occhio Di Pernice label if the right side had as much birdseye as the left. I am sure it will smoke great for you, congrats.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I just finished my inaugural smoke, some Klondike Gold. I've held off on buying a really nice Italian made pipe because I've never really had any good luck with Savinelli and all the other higher end Italian pipes I've looked at, just never caught my eye.
Well, that's all briar under the bridge. If they, Costello's smoke like this one, I'm going to need another rack.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
Beautiful pipe. I have a 67 from the 60s that is one of my favorite pipes. Italian pipes catch my eye more than any other.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
That Castello rocks. Glad to hear she smokes well, too! Very sweet pick up.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Great Castello ashdigger! Cheers and congrats.
A few nuggets for your notes on this pipe. That is a colored Lucite stem, red - used in the 196/70's, the material is difficult to find. Rare. That is an SS size, very nice, especially with tons of Birdseye on the flank. That pipe is pre K grading. 1950's to later 1960's the pipes carried stamps which indicted sizes. SA being the smallest and SS the largest. Yours is a great stack SS billiard variant with saddle stem. This pipe was made before Franco Coppo joined the firm. The draw will be slightly tight compared to today’s Castello standards, but that is in no way a bad thing.
Yes, you will need another rack. This WILL NOT be your last Castello.
I LOVE this pipe. You did good :clap:

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Very good 75 shape with a nice tall bowl. I collect the colored stems and I really like the ruby red swirl. The 3 indicates the straw size.
With a quick look this pipe is unique to my eye in a few ways.

1. I've never seen that broken circle symbol before. Could be a dealer mark but that not usually where they are stamped. Could some way to mark a variation? Replaced the usual Reg number you see stamped on a long shank pipe? Who knows??

2. Since I don't see a Hallco diamond trademark I assume it has a European white bar and that is fairly rare with a colored stem. The colored stems were mostly sold in the US.

3. Again with the colored stems, you don't see them paired with smooth pipes very often. 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.