PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Check out this cool Aristocob system pipe I picked up for 20 bucks. Gonna start the restore progress and refinish it. Probably going to make a briar insert and an acrylic stem.

photogrid_1449584961561-600x600.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Pretty weird- covering up 1800's technology (that works just fine) with some sleek, futuristic Jetsons-looking thing. I wouldn't be surprised if the aluminum bowl actually made the cob smoke hotter. A net loss in performance for a net gain in appearance is right up most folks' street, though. I wonder how popular these were in the wayback.

ha ha, you're probably not going to get quotes from folks. As I know that I wouldn't willingly work to drive down my own prices, if this were an area that I worked in. Unless, someone just really wanted to do this as a challenge. But, you might get recommendations for people who do make stems regularly.
That is a cool looking pipe. If this were my pipe, I wouldn't mind doing the whole thing myself. Heck, I wouldn't mind taking a closer look at it, as a metalsmith, I would love to make one in silver and gold for myself. I could even see using some mixed metals such as Mokugame and hand forging one. I could even see the shank on the stummel having a wide bore to act as a reverse calabash of sorts.

Lovely pipe, and good luck getting that restored. Although small, it could get a work out in my rotation.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
aldecaker I hear they actually smoke really cool. It is funny how covering a corncob up was so important haha. The coolest part for me was these where invented in Grand Haven Michigan, and sold to Missouri Meer in the 70s. I am from Muskegon Michigan so its like 15 minutes away. So local nostalgia

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Pretty cool! Be sure to post some pictures when you are done and let us know how she smokes. :puffpipe:

earthbound

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
That's way cool. What kind of pipe bowl would you be looking to fit it to? I've made four pipes so far and I'm falling in love with the hobby.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Cool, man. Has a great Art Nouveau look. I like the rings, there like a engines cooling blades.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
Cob inserts go back as early as the late 1880's. They were not metal, but...the ideal remained.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here's a link to a similar deeply veined bowl pipe, but in briar, so the concept lives. These are at Iwan Ries, but seem to be out of stock right now.
http://www.iwanries.com/Amadeus-Special-309-P14146C2109.cfm

Status
Not open for further replies.