PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoking In The Fast Lane

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
California
This Nording just arrived, however something doesn't look right. I'm new to the sport so would appreciate any feedback on whether or this is burn through or something less sinister? Thanks in advance for any input.1952

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The white part at the bottom? Or the condition of the chamber to its right in your pictures?

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Gently tap on it with your pipe nail or a smilar object. A beginning burnout should feel and sound differntly than sane briar. To me it looks not bad, too.

Smoking In The Fast Lane

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
California
Thanks all for the feedback. My poor photography skills haven't captured the issue very well. It is definitly not fuzz or ash, there is physically a break in the surface level with small indention/crater in the bowl at the white/gray spot. In the photos this might be a little more clear on the right side of the spot. I've added a few more pics that hopefully show the detail of the issue better (as well as the stock photo to see what a nice pipe it is, at least to me).

Trying to be more scientific I did tap the insides of the bowl and get more of a crisp sound at the black vs a more deadened sound on the spot.

If this is not burnout, is there any reason a new/estate pipe would have anything but a smooth surface? I'm only a few months into pipe smoking so really appreciate any shared wisdom. I think it's a great looking pipe and was rather excited for the mail to arrive yesterday.

Thanks again for any inputs.

Attachments

• 20190913_061724.jpg
    20190913_061724.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20190913_061804.jpg
    20190913_061804.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot 2019-09-13 05.59.44.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-13 05.59.44.png
    528.2 KB · Views: 21
My thoughts are (take with a handful of salt) is that the very dead bottom of the pipe usually doesn't get terribly hot. It is usually hard to build cake there and even the last to turn black when breaking in. In a conical bowl shaped pipe, the start of the walls at the bottom does get very hot. But, this one is conical.
I think it's good to go. Try it, but maybe be aware of the heat as you reach the bottom of the bowl. All of the burn outs that I have seen have been on the side of the pipe. (Again, throw another handful of salt on that)

Reactions: burleyboy

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
With the new photos there does seem to be a small depression. Possibly pipe mud underneath the cake? Just conjecture on my part. I would take some sandpaper, like 220 grit, piece 1”x3” and wrap it around my finger. Leave a bit sticking out past the end of your finger, so it can collapse inward and conform to the end of your finger. Work it around gently and remove cake from the bottom. Then you can see what’s under that spot.

Or you could just dab a little maple syrup on the spot and smoke it. That’ll allow carbon to cover that up and it shouldn’t be an issue, unless it’s a soft spot, which may get bigger down the road.

Just start slow like your breaking in new pipe.

Or if it’s of concern return it to SP.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If this is not burnout, is there any reason a new/estate pipe would have anything but a smooth surface?
Sure. It's been smoked and built up some cake and the bowl's been aggressively reamed back, which looks likely from the scoring left around the base of the chamber. Whether the scoring is from the original owner or from the clean up department at SP is the unknown.
That shouldn't affect the smoking properties of the pipe.

Smoking In The Fast Lane

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
California
Given the mob isnt in the streets with their pitchforks I think I'll roll, albeit slow, with this one. Thanks to everyone for helping ease a new guys paranoia. This really is a fantastic community.
I can't wait to get home from work and test out the new soldier.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
The photos look like the bottom of the bowl is slightly lower than the draft hole. Couldn't that gray spot be some residue of "pipe mud", a cement-like mixture of ash and water, which many smokers put in their pipes to get the bottom of the chamber and the draft hole leveled?

My guess is that you' drive on the safe lane, using this pipe.

Guppy

Might Stick Around
Sep 6, 2019
Texas
I refurbish a fair of estates. When you do the cotton ball or salt plus alcohol treatment on a bowl it can leave white residue on the bottom. Nothing to worry about.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
It looks a lot to me like the bottom most point where the drill bit used to drill the chamber pressed down. Most of my Nordings have that little indentation in the bottom of the conical drilled chamber. I'm postulating that the previous owner didn't build solid cake in the very tip of the heel there (which is hard to do in conical chambers), and that the cake popped off when the rest of the chamber was reamed, exposing that spot. I'd smoke it and call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.