PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
A new friend of mine, who I met from another friend is big into cigars. Talking to him at the bar last night, we made plans to get together and smoke some together. I then asked him if he ever smoked a pipe, and he said "Yes, cherry tobacco, delicious!"

So I'm looking to buy some cherry tobacco for him, along with cleaning up an old pipe for him as well.

However, I hate everything that has to do with cherries, and I've never smoked cherry tobacco. So I need help from everyone.

He didn't have any names or blends or whatever. So I have no idea where to start. What's a good classic cherry blend to get him? What about black cherry? Is that really different tasting than regular cherry?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If possible, I'd ask him. Forums members are a bunch of inveterate pipe smokers with pretty cultivated, if not always fancy, tastes. A person who doesn't smoke a pipe regularly might actually like the good old codger blends like Palitan or one of the other pouch cherry blends. A more refined cherry blend might be a disappointment. I'd say Sakura, but that might not taste cherry-like to him at all. Borkum Riff Cherry might suffice?

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I’ve tried many cherry blends, and my favorite is Sutliff’s Black Cherry. Blood Red Moon and GH Cherry Vanilla are popular, but availability is hit-or-miss... mostly miss on the latter.

Reactions: kurtbob and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
If possible, I'd ask him. Forums members are a bunch of inveterate pipe smokers with pretty cultivated, if not always fancy, tastes. A person who doesn't smoke a pipe regularly might actually like the good old codger blends like Palitan or one of the other pouch cherry blends. A more refined cherry blend might be a disappointment. I'd say Sakura, but that might not taste cherry-like to him at all. Borkum Riff Cherry might suffice?
Please don’t buy him any of this ?
Just messing with ya, Tom.

Reactions: kurtbob

Swampy16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2020
Captain Black, and dry it a bit. Then when he’s done and says “that was good” fill that pipe with some Mississippi River and tell him no more Charms Blow Pop tobacco, try a real one. My guess is he’s gonna have a revelation and the cigar smoking will go out the window.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I second the seven seas blends. They're kind of plain but very good. Had some of their golden one today and enjoyed it seriously.
The 7Seas Royal Blend [Vanilla] was particularly good but I had the same problem; 2-3 bowls a day weren't a problem but when I smoked more in one day my mouth suffered.
Not tongue bite per se, more like a scorched mouth :eek:

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The 7Seas Royal Blend [Vanilla] was particularly good but I had the same problem; 2-3 bowls a day weren't a problem but when I smoked more in one day my mouth suffered.
Not tongue bite per se, more like a scorched mouth :eek:
I haven't smoked more then one bowl of this one a day. Did today sort of but it was so cold and windy I just went inside instead of finishing it. It's rough out there right now. Even with a wind cap the wind smoked more of the pipe then I got to.

Reactions: chopper