New Savinelli... With A Few Differences ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I just purchased this new Savinelli Trevi 607. I have/had other Trevi’s, but always liked the size of the 607 w/the saddle stem. Two things I noticed when opening the box: 1) the bowl wasn’t coated, and 2) there were no Balsa wood filters. Neither matter to me, but was curious as it’s the first Savinelli I purchased in over 10 years that had a clean chamber, which I kinda like. An explaination was provided for the latter in pic#2.
44220AA8-BD19-4EEA-99DF-B76072F3951A.jpeg9FD2610E-FF2A-4320-805F-6E30A4D87DAE.jpeg

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I’m sitting on a thousand balsa filters. When the worldwide shortage pushes the price up to $20/filter, I’m going to cash in!

Drevil_million_dollars.jpg

kgs

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2021
South Florida
An uncoated bowl is nice. You will taste burning briar for a few bowls. Soon enough the bowl will become black and the taste of briar will fade. They say to smoke slowly while you break-in an uncoated bowl, but I am skeptical about whether it makes that much of a difference.

A few weeks ago I read a rumor on these forums about the balsa shortage. I quickly purchased a large number of the filters. I think I have enough to last me until the shortage ends, but maybe I will start to reuse and ration them. The balsa filters make smoking much more enjoyable for me and I recommend them.

Reactions: STP and ofafeather

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
An uncoated bowl is nice. You will taste burning briar for a few bowls. Soon enough the bowl will become black and the taste of briar will fade. They say to smoke slowly while you break-in an uncoated bowl, but I am skeptical about whether it makes that much of a difference.

A few weeks ago I read a rumor on these forums about the balsa shortage. I quickly purchased a large number of the filters. I think I have enough to last me until the shortage ends, but maybe I will start to reuse and ration them. The balsa filters make smoking much more enjoyable for me and I recommend them.
I ultimately coated the bowel shortly after purchasing... No real reason aside from waiting to see how it’d work. I used activated charcoal capsules mixed w/organic sour cream. A technique that I saw on YouTube. I thought the ingredients were odd, particularly the latter, but it worked perfectly without any lingering funky taste. As far as the balsa filters... I also have a stock pile, but actually prefer using the adapter, or nothing. While they might actually serve a purpose, I found them to be kinda gimmicky. Not a fan of disassembling my pipes after every smoke, and it’s hard running a pipe cleaner through them with a filter ?

Reactions: ofafeather