PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
My PM buddy Shaintiques extolled the virtues of Ryan's work and after very little deliberation, I asked Ryan make me a morta with bakelite. Ryan ordered some fantastic stock from Germany and created this beauty.
morta-1-600x297.jpg

morta-2-600x297.jpg

morta-3-600x296.jpg

morta-4-296x600.jpg

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Beautiful! I have a very similar morta from Ryan, but with an obviously different mouthpiece. It's so comfortable in your mouth and being morta, I don't worry about what tobacco I smoke in it, so mine gets used a lot. I'm sure you'll love it
Here's my pipe.
Screenshot_20181002-112743-X3.png

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No higher accolade than praise from the big pipe man himself. I don't think I have to say "brad" here, but maybe for newcomers. Here's a nerdy question, but a natural curiosity. Is bakelite still made new, or is it rescued from other uses from the old days when it was primary in radio knobs and dials, etc. I assume from the beautiful color and carving that this is new stock, so I wonder if it is made exclusively in Germany? The green stem really brings up the morta and gives vibrancy to the massive bowl. Really neat.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Bakelite radio knobs? Hah... I actually remember those. Grandparents had a big old radio I used to love to play with.
Anyway. Absolutely loving that pipe. A nice Morta is very high on my list.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
Morta suits a colorful stem and that's a fantastic combination, simply gorgeous. :clap:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
i think bakelite was used some on automobile dashboards for radio knobs but also for radio speaker grids, various control knobs, and things like housings for defroster fans which used to sit on the dashboard and have leather blades so as not to snag hands. These were family coupes and sedans of the thirties.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Congrats. That's a beauty. I love colored stems on pipes. If I had to pick between two identical pipes and one had a colored stem...that's the one I'd choose.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Beautiful! Congrats...what a great pipe. I wouldn't normally find a green stem too appealing, but in this case it's perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.