Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
This is actually a pretty common rule on most forums.
Solicitation via Private Message
The Private Message system may not be used for solicitation of any kind. Even if you have a legitimate "Buy / Sell / Trade" forum communication, you cannot place that info, or links to it in a PM. This is considered spam and is prohibited.
You can see it in the full rules, as 1a, just above #2.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/forum-rules-read-before-posting-please-1

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Was I soliciting when I sent you the link to the best Belgian chocolates ? ;-)
All kidding aside, good reminder
Maybe add: "unless specifically asked for by the member in question" ? I've asked for links to a posting, but not to a general store kind of thing.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
If we do have a legitimate Buy/Sell/Trade posting, may we do further discussions via PM? Or ask the respondent for email address and continue the conversation that way? There is some information I might not like to give in a totally open forum.
I would imagine that once someone responds to the thread post it is fine to use PM to close the deal. I think Kevin is just trying to avoid unwanted PMs sent out trying to solicit business. Once a transaction is in place, I think PM is probably the place to close the deal and handle the details. Kevin can correct me if I'm thinking wrong on this.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
Gotta love a No Soliciting rule. I have a "No Soliciting" sign on my door which is frequently ignored. So, I answer the Door with a Giant Dog frothing at the mouth. It is always interesting. The folks who do not take off running sometimes want to debate what constitutes solicitation. I tell them to look it up in the dictionary, and to never step foot on my property again.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yup, have to admit, I too am all for that rule. However, I also agree, just a wee bit more clarification would be good. One does need to PM and recieve PM's to finalize details privately

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Spam is an unsolicited offer to buy (or trade) something whereby the seller has initiated the contact without the potential buyer having previously expressed an interest.
Someone could post a thread in Buy / Sell / Trade. If I respond in the public thread that I am interested, then a PM is ok.
If we had a previous specific private discussion, such as; "Hey man, if you hear of anyone getting SG Commonwealth in stock, please let me know in private so I have a chance to snag some before it is sold out". Then it is ok.
If you happen to have the general knowledge that a lot of people get frustrated by the face that Penzance is hard to get and you find out a retailer has some (or YOU have some) to sell, then sending a PM to all of your "buddies" may be questionable.
If they are just guys you happen to like or think are cool from their postings, but you don't really have a personal relationship with them, then you probably shouldn't send an unsolicited PM even of you think you are doing a favor.
If you really, truly have a personal relationship with them, and they told you to hit them up if you get this news, then that's different.
Otherwise, post a thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.