Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Here's another new rule I've been meaning to get to for some time now. You will find this in the full set of rules that is stuck to the top.

13. English Only

The language of the forums is English. We'll allow hellos in other languages in new member introductions, but that's it.

This also includes runes, Chinese characters, and anything similar.

This is not allowed in posts, or signatures.

Latin alphabet only.

There might be some people that need to update their signatures.

If we see any of this, we will just delete without hesitation.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
English please. We do have a membership from all over the world, but in order to keep the conversation shared and open, we need to use one language. Enough percent of the membership speaks and writes English or English as a second language, that that is the appropriate choice.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Verily sir, thine verbiage and proclamation doth agree most favorably with the most ardent needs and gentlemanly desires of this assemblage of dedicated hobbyists and puffers of briar, cob and clay pipes, notwithstanding the hopeful inclusion of that most excellent but nevertheless undoubtedly foreign class of smoking devices, crafted from and made of “meerschaum”, or in other words, sea foam, which through no fault of their own, have the distinction of bearing such an un-English moniker. Assuming that such named devices might be allowed, nay welcomed, into the lofty company of our company and forming an admirable addition to, not to discount such participation in the least, I think we might all agree to term such endeavors as, “social discourse”, one might even go so far as to say intelligent discussion, it is my fervent hope that such trespass against the foreign language prohibition might be justifiably excused. Pursuant to the above noted points of, hopefully not to be classified as dissent, but rather as clarification, for the mutual benefit of all the learned gentlemen (and ladies!) herein assembled in this community, we proffer our regards and, indeed, our most hearty sentiments of gratitude, dare one be so bold as to suggest even(?), our thanks.

“It’s English, Jim, just not as we know it.” -Bones. ?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Santaclaus
Santa Claus to be strictly within in the rules of English only.

Rules threads are beginning to comprise a significant percentage of forum content these days.
He asked sarcastically, "I wonder why that would be necessary?"

Not being poly-linguistic I appreciate Kevin's, the owner, position. I can handle a bit of Russian, Irish and Spanish but, that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.