PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
I need to lose a lot of weight and my doctor and I discussed a few prescription medications. We settled on a drug called Topamax. One side effect she mentioned was that it would make carbonated beverages taste bad enough you couldn't enjoy them--she was right. No big deal there. What she didn't mention, and my research didn't show, was that this is also used for smoking cessation. So I went from my usual two bowls a day to almost none. I think I've smoked three times in the last month. I pretty much had to make a conscious decision that "dammit I want to smoke" even though I really didn't. It's like not being thirsty so a glass of water doesn't really appeal to you.

On the plus side it does seem to have helped with weight loss. I've lost 20 pounds in two months without radically changing things. I rarely have cravings late at night. I think my portions are smaller. I don't have any cravings for snacks in the afternoon. I just miss smoking my pipes.

Here's one study that shows it worked for those wanting to quit smoking cigarettes: Topiramate for smoking cessation: a randomized, placebo-controlled pilot study - PubMed - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24057996/

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I guess this prescription is to bring you down to a healthier weight when it will be suspended or you'll go to a lower dose? Then I guess you might enjoy your pipes again, but try to stay on track with your diet? The Indians who introduced us all to tobacco often used it to slack their appetite when food was less available, which in hunting societies happened from time to time. So in that sense, tobacco might help you sustain a better weight. You might ask your doctor what the duration of this prescription might be. Go for good health and maybe the pipe opportunities will surface later.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
I actually took up pipe smoking (and coffee drinking) when I was on a low carb diet, looking for some variety for my palate. Sometimes smoking a pipe did help decrease the craving for a snack. I don't imagine I'll be on this medicine forever, so I do hope to return to pipe smoking eventually.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Good for you.............................. Get your weight down where you want it, take up the pipe again afterwards............. 20 pounds in 2 months is impressive........... Get that weight under control, the pipe will be waiting for you!!............
This. I put a like on your OP for just this reason. If you need to slow down pipes for a season to get your ship righted, DO IT. Your cellar will just taste that much better with some age on it when you come back to it all svelte and healthy.

Take care of yourself, brother!