PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For those of us who have pipes we bought new decades ago, we might sometimes think of our oldest pipes as estate pipes inherited from our dearly departed younger selves. Do you ever find yourself wondering what that younger self was like? Just kidding, but not entirely. Anyone else have this experience?

Reactions: a3zname

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I have not been at this long enough to have any that match that criteria but I do have some I bought prior to major life events that have changed me and my life forever. Does that mean they were once the pipe of a “different guy”?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
augiebd, good point. 'Seems to me both are true. In that case, more recent pipes I bought new are estate pipes. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

Frozenoak

Can't Leave
Oct 9, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA
I discovered a box of pipes a couple years ago when I was moving into the new place. I have no recollection of buying or smoking them. Probably from my days in the service. A gift from my younger self, I suppose.

Reactions: a3zname

a3zname

Lurker
Nov 12, 2019
Israel
Im not in this hobby (or generaly on earth) for that long to consider anything i have bought new in the past - now to be a first hand estate, but the thought of it has a warm surrealistic aura around it, reminding ourselves how time flies, and how memories are so much valuable as the items themselves.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
"For my own part, I have never had a thought which I could not set down in words with even more distinctness than that with which I conceived it.

There is, however, a class of fancies of exquisite delicacy which are not thoughts,
And to which as yet I have found it absolutely impossible to adapt to language.

These fancies arise in the soul, alas how rarely.

Only at epochs of most intense tranquillity,
When the bodily and mental health are in perfection.

And at those weird points of time,
Where the confines of the waking world blend with the world of dreams.
And so I captured this fancy, where all that we see, or seem, Is but a dream within a dream."

Edgar Allan Poe

Reactions: litup and Bowie

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Not to sound too much like the late great George Carlin, but every time I hear people talking about estates I can almost hear George Carlin saying something like "You know all this shit about estate pipes. You know previously smoked pipes. Its not an estate pipe its a DEAD PERSONS pipe! Someone dies. You take their shoes. Do you kick back in the bar and shoot the breeze about your estate shoes?". I mean you could see George doing a whole section on this subject if he was alive.

Im not in this hobby (or generaly on earth) for that long to consider anything i have bought new in the past - now to be a first hand estate,
Just wait till you get over the 50 year old threshold. When I was a new parent everyone told me to cherish these days because they are short lived, and they flew by like seconds, they seemed long in the thick of it, but in retrospect, fleeting. Now, I look back on every aspect of my earlier life as being soooo long ago, but fleeting. Now, the year most of you were born seems like yesterday for me, but still so long ago. Hard to describe, but I "get" what MSO is saying.

Reactions: Bowie

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Not to sound too much like the late great George Carlin, but every time I hear people talking about estates I can almost hear George Carlin saying something like "You know all this shit about estate pipes. You know previously smoked pipes. Its not an estate pipe its a DEAD PERSONS pipe! Someone dies. You take their shoes. Do you kick back in the bar and shoot the breeze about your estate shoes?". I mean you could see George doing a whole section on this subject if he was alive.

Haha! I remember one bit where he said “There’s things people say about a dead person - Doesn’t he look great - HE’S DEAD... I know, but he never looked that good.”

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
craig', half way through the poem (I thought you'd written it) I thought, jeez, this guy's a good poet, so I smiled when I discovered it was Poe. He was! George Carlin would have said that, yes. He took a fairly messed up life and made us laugh. I had a writer friend and mentor who said when he read his work from his early years he had no idea what that person was thinking. I love the idea of discovering your own old pipes in a box and not remembering owning them. I've not had quite that experience, but ones like it.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@mso489 when you become senile you can have the experience of finding a box of pipes and not remember owning them. I believe, without being offensive in any way the late President Reagan said something along the lines ...."The great thing about alzheimer's is you meet new people every day"!

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I told a college buddy I had no recall of ever being to Little Rock ... where I'd visited him while he was on the newspaper there as a copy editor. No wonder. As journalism grads we had spent the whole visit watching the Watergate hearings so, in fact, I never saw any of Little Rock and was substantively correct I hadn't been there, not to town.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
craig', reading the poem by Poe as contemporary shows how fresh it still is. I visited the Poe house and museum in Richmond and they gave a good defense of both his writing and his character. He somewhat invented the modern detective story and a genre of fantasy fiction and of course wrote the unforgettable poetry. He probably wasn't an alcoholic, but had health and medication problems, also a modern "take."

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Just wait till you get over the 50 year old threshold. When I was a new parent everyone told me to cherish these days because they are short lived, and they flew by like seconds, they seemed long in the thick of it, but in retrospect, fleeting. Now, I look back on every aspect of my earlier life as being soooo long ago, but fleeting. Now, the year most of you were born seems like yesterday for me, but still so long ago. Hard to describe, but I "get" what MSO is saying.
The days are long but the years are short.

Jan 29, 2020
Ellsinore, Mo.

George once talked about sitting down on a couch and forcing an old Fart out of a cushion too ? .. He could speak on anything. Crazy thing is I listened to the couch cushion fart skit on an 8 track tape in the 70s ?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So it's not just me. Good.

Status
Not open for further replies.