PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

WithDisDane

Lurker
Dec 28, 2019
Hi everyone,

Not having been a long time smoker, I not too long ago found myself puffing almost constantly on a Juul- between stress from my job and the pure ease of it. I went from not smoking at all to vaping 24-7. I always hated the smell of cigarettes, and had always had fond memories of the smell of my best friend's dad car as he would give us rides to the movies puffing on his pipe, so for my birthday present to myself at the beginning of December I bought myself a cheap churchwarden from P&C and some Captain Black to see if I would really like it after all. About a month later I already have ten pipes in my collection and have long sold my vape away- and honestly I feel much better smoking three bowls a day than constantly sucking on that plastic stick. I have also long since killed that CB, and now I'm mostly smoking Amphora's Kentucky Blend and some of Hiland's Cigars Aromatics- chiefly Black Gold and Caribbean. That Amphora was kind of an epiphany for me- it absolutely blew me away the first time I smoked it, while Caribbean has grown on me as I continue to smoke it and is quickly becoming my go to.

My true addiction, however has been to the pipes themselves- I was instantly blown away by the styles and craftsmanship, and soon found myself constantly on smokingpipes looking at new arrivals and different brands, and quickly developed a preference for Danish pipes- I've already ordered a Nording Freehand and a Neerup.

My Grandfather was a pipesmoker- and so for Christmas my family gave me an old Meerschaum of his that he must have never smoked because it was clean as whistle. It appears to be Green Man, the ancient mythological figure. There was no visible markings of it, and it's likely 30+ years old, so I'm not exactly sure who the creator is, but at the moment it is by far my best smoking pipe- i smoke exclusively that Caribbean and it tastes three times as good out of that Meer as out of anything else, for whatever reason. i'll attach a bad iphone photo in case anybody has any ideas. I'm actually a photographer, so I'll likely take some decent photos later, but this was just Christmas day on my parent's porch.

So thanks all, and I'm excited to get to know all of you!

-DD

Attachments

• IMG_2546.jpg
    IMG_2546.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2544.jpg
    IMG_2544.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 29

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Welcome!
About a month later I already have ten pipes in my collection...
A good beginning...it is an addiction in itself, but remember...there is always accessories and tobaccos to get hooked on. I always swore it wouldn't happen to me, but...well I have five new lighters in the mail on their way to me.

p.s. Meers are fascinating to me. There are members here with collections that just blow my socks off.

WithDisDane

Lurker
Dec 28, 2019
As I just posted on a different thread, a meer gives great clarity of flavor. I received my first and only meer from a Forums member, the late great fish'n'banjo last year and am much impressed.

What's funny is that I had bought an SMS full bent dublin meer from Hiland's, and I really wasn't impressed it by it. I thought my briars gave me much better flavor, and smoked much better, so i had nearly written meers off until I was gifted this one which is the most flavorful and best smoke of my young collection- although my Nording and Neerup haven't yet arrived. It's still strange to me how two different pipes, especially of the same type, ie Meer, can offer such different experiences even with the same tobacco. It doesn't really make any sense to me, tbh. That SMS isn't pressed, I believe, so I don't know why I'm just not that fond of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.