PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

getysburg1

Lurker
Jan 25, 2018
Hello there, I just made a profile on this site a few minutes ago. Last night I order two pipes for myself and my brother. Capri Gozzo 42 Dublin rustic for me and a Dr Grabow freehand for my brother. I also ordered several oz of various tobaccos to try out. So to get to the point I just wanted to see how many new/younger pipe smokers there are beginning their journey, and or when you started your adventure into the world of pipes.

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
Hi, welcome to the forum! I am still new to this hobby/passion myself, having only smoked a pipe for a little over a year. It was weird how I came to it, I used to smoke cigars when I was younger, and one day in 2016 I just had a craving for flavourful tobacco. I have since tried many blends, and have experienced a lot of trial and error. There is a lot to learn, that only comes with experience, I think. Enjoy your blends and let us know how it goes! Lots of helpful folks here!

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Welcome to the hobby and to the forum. A few thousand of your best friends are happy and willing to provide any and all assistance and advice as you begin your journey. Just remember this: there is no “best” pipe or “best” tobacco. You’re entitled to enjoy whatever it is you like.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard! We have new members all the time, some new to pipe smoking and others with longer experience. Someone here is usually ready and willing to answer your pipe questions, and there is a lot of depth of experience in different pipe-related subjects, from carving to history to pipe tobacco blending and more.

Jul 12, 2011
Welcome - I had been a cigar smoker for 25-30yrs, still enjoy a good cigar from time to time. I had tried this hobby back in my early 20s, but for me back in the day and having no patience and poor tech I had failed and drifted away for 20yrs. I'm happy to say I'm back with more patience - remember to slow down, enjoy the smoke. It took me a good 6-8 months to get it right, lots of failures but to quote Yoda "The greatest teacher, failure is.", hehe.. so enjoy the journey as others have said no "best" pipe or "best" tobacco - just what "You" enjoy :puffy:

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Welcome to the forum!
Despite what the stereotype is, pipe smoking is and can be enjoyed by people of all ages. There is a veritable wealth of information and knowledge here. You will definitely be overwhelmed. But ask as many questions as you want. Everyone here is happy to help you out on the road!

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Welcome. I started very haphazardly about 10 years ago, stuck with it for about 3 months and then moved on. I wasn't patient enough to get the results I wanted.
I've returned to smoking for the past couple of years now, with a newfound mindset for the joys that smoking a pipe bring to my life.
Although I still feel the steep learning curve, I'm ok with the fact that the adventure getting to one's destination is just as rewarding as the destination itself. Good luck.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Welcome to the forum getysburg1. But pay no attention to what the majority of this group tells you...including me. :nana:

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Welcome to the group!

I started smoking a pipe 5 years ago, I didn't have a mentor to give me advice or show me what I was doing wrong/right, so I just hung out here reading posts and learning, these guys all became my mentors.

I learned a lot that first year, just hanging out and reading on this forum.

Whatever your question (about pipes and tobacco), this forum is a wealth of information, the answers are all here.

If you stay long enough you may learn other things too. :roll: :lol:

Good luck my friend!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the site. I began my pipe journey in 1997 because one of my cigar buddies wouldn't stop bugging me that I had to try it. I am glad I did. You are going to need a lot of patience. I have smoked tobacco in every form and pipes have a large learning curve. Ask as many questions as you need to and don't give up if you fry your mouth and your tongue. I would recommend getting a bottle of Biotene mouth wash. It will help with the burn and the dry mouth. Use it after every bowl and before you go to bed. Good luck in your journey.

Oct 7, 2016
Welcome. Everybody has to start sometime. Around 1980, when I first started, I had two close friends who helped me with the basics, and some very knowledgeable and helpful shop owners and staff. Back in the old days, patience was considered to be a personality trait of pipe smokers. The best advice is still to be patient.

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Yes welcome to the PM Forum. After 55 years of pipe smoking, I still pick up valuable information here. In the 60s, it was learn by trial and error. Happy puffing.
LRT

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
Welcome aboard. Stay close and you’re sure to get TAD and PAD from this group but also some great insight to smoking a pipe. Welcome.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Hello, and welcome! I'm no spring chicken anymore, but I smoked pipes 20 years ago and gave it up. I'm not sure why! I picked it back up a few years ago. This site and its members have been very helpful! Stick with it, it's worth the effort of learning!
Tim

I've been saying that I've been smoking for a couple of years for quite a while. But, I just did the math, and I quit cigarettes altogether and have been smoking pipes for almost seven years, most of them years on here gabbing with the boys. It's a great resource and virtual smoking lounge. Fire up a bowl, log in, delve into some neat pipe or tobacco history or lore, or just enjoy the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.