PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
It occurred to me today that if I were to start smoking a pipe now, I think I would be totally lost about what tobaccos to smoke first and how to really get a firm grounding about tobacco blends.
When I started, my tobacconist was The Tinder Box chain of mall stores (in the US). And shortly after I started smoking a pipe, I got a job in a Tinder Box. So my tobacco education came naturally: I smoked every single bulk blend and every single tinned blend that Tinder Box carried. So I got a really comprehensive -- and fast -- grounding in the popular Lane/Stokkebye bulks, as well as the big names that were popular in the 1980s (Balkan Sobranie, Gallahers, Rattrays, A&C Petersen, Cope's, etc.).
But if I were just starting today, I'd be so overwhelmed by the choices, I wouldn't know where to start. Or where to go next. Or how to make sense of everything I was tasting.
All of that to say: I have the utmost respect for everyone here who is just getting started and trying to learn about tobaccos and blends. Yes, you have hundreds of choices that I didn't have. You have a wealth of information that I didn't have. That's a good thing, yes. But it's also a real challenge; when you're just getting started, fewer choices can be better. My hat's off to everyone who is on what must at times be a frustrating journey.
Bob

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks Bob. I think you're very lucky to have worked at at Tinder Box. What a leg up in this hobby. The forums are great, but you cannot beat that kind of experience!

Jul 12, 2011
+1 w/Bob ~ I say don't overwhelm your senses but do try all blends in time; Aromatics, Vs, VaPer, Vabur, English, Balkan, etc. to find out what you really like and............SMOKE IT! 8)
Now even MC says you need a good/solid 4-days of smoking a V for your senses to really start to appreciate it, don't do what I did when starting out and jump all over the map day-in/day-out with all sorts of blends, it will confuse the _)(*&^%$#@#$%^&*() out of your senses :)
I would start out with good quality bacci+pipe( a quality MM cob pipe is a good start and under $10.00 ) and try some of the "foundation blends" as I have come to call them; Dunhill Flake, Escudo, Solani Aged Burley Flake, Peterson's University Flake, Dunhill Nightcap, etc. If you start your research on blends and reviews, look these blends up and you will see what I mean, good solid reviews, high quality bacci IMHO.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I have to admit, when I first started, I tried about 50 different blends in the first 6 mos. A big reason for the rush was due to my desire to stock up before taxes or shipping restrictions made pipe smoking unsustainable.
It really opened my palate and gave me a good idea of what to expect with different varieties. It also taught me to not get too excited when buying a tobacco with many accolades. Some tobaccos have so much praise that my hopes were sky high, only to discover that (while fine) they weren't the "be all, end all" of tobaccos.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
When I first started I admit I was lost...wait I'm still lost lol
But thanks to this forum and it's wonderful members I was pointed in the right direction in terms of what type of pipe smoker I wanted to be.

Things like:

Reviews

Articles

Box passes

Trades

Advice from members
Have all contributed to helping me along my path as a pipe smoker and I wouldn't be a pipe smoker now if it was not for those things.
So thank you ladies and gentleman.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"Some tobaccos have so much praise that my hopes were sky high, only to discover that (while fine) they weren't the "be all, end all" of tobaccos."
This is a great point. . . and something completely foreign to me when I was just starting out. My only resources back then were my co-workers (new pipe smokers like myself, and cigar smokers) and books, which never really talked much about specific current blends. So I had no idea that Balkan Sobranie was a storied blend; I just smoked it. Same with everything else. I had no idea about "reputations" or even the history of any of those blends. So I wasn't swayed in any way.
Totally different landscape today. A brand new smoker hears about so many "must try" blends and sees hundreds of choices in online shops. (Never mind that there have never been so many blends available as there are right now.)
I'm toying with the idea of putting together my own list of blends (maybe like a flow chart) for getting a solid education in the major categories. (There are similar lists out there on the Internet, but they tend to be outdated or limited.) But even as I think about that, I realize that not everyone is interested in such a methodical approach to pipe smoking. I've enjoyed trying everything I could find; others will just want to find a style they like so they can rely on a consistently enjoyable smoke. I probably think "old school" in this regard: Start with basic math and work your way up to algebra and trigonometry. Pipe-wise: Start with basic, simple blends that showcase certain leaf, then work your way up to more complex or more challenging blends. But any such list or flow chart would naturally be personal to my tastes and my way of approaching new blends, which wouldn't be appealing for everyone. But who knows: Maybe it would still be of some use to somebody.
Bob

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
It's one of the things I love about the hobby. An almost endless array to choose from and play with. I just posted on the beginners forum about mixing two of my favorites so yeah, there's a ton of choices to be made by beginners but I view that as a good thing. If there were only 20-30 blends to pick from, it would get old fast.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Hey rmbittner (bob) that would be great I know I would appreciate that a bunch! That is what I am going through now....like the Frog Morton blends and the Boswells berry cobbler. I have no idea what I am doing. I live kinda through your all's words and I want to rush out and get this or that. I remember growing up in the 80's in Columbus Ohio and there was a Tender Box in our mall and I would go in there and buy neat gifts for my dad but was way too intimated to ask about pipes and tobacco but the place smelled sooooo good!!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
but the place smelled sooooo good!!
+1
Love the smell of coffee shops and tobacco shops! Be sure to check out Tobaccoreviews.com too. If you're interested in a particular tobacco, you can read the reviews to try and get an idea of what it might taste like.
Of course, even if 75% hate it, doesn't mean you will too, but it can still help separate the wheat from the chaff.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I have to admit, when I first started, I tried about 50 different blends in the first 6 mos.
I know what you mean numbersix, I am fairly new to pipe smoking and I have been trying as many tobaccos as I can. I don't really have a method to the madness, but rather just trying different stuff and seeing what appeals to me. Not sure if that is the right way to do it or not, but it's fun to try new stuff!

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I, too, have tried close to 50 blends since I started a year ago. I smoked briefly in the mid-70's and my tobacconist was also Tender Box. There were a lot less blends to try but there was no internet for me to learn about all those terms used in the descriptions. This forum, and the net in general, has been a big help and out of that 50 blends I have tried I have narrowed down to about five I really care about. Most of these I would not have been even aware of in the 70's.
macabra - the fun way is always the right way

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I know what you mean numbersix, I am fairly new to pipe smoking and I have been trying as many tobaccos as I can. I don't really have a method to the madness, but rather just trying different stuff and seeing what appeals to me. Not sure if that is the right way to do it or not, but it's fun to try new stuff!
Good for you. I like some blends that few try, so sometimes you just have to take a chance. Either way, you learn something with every one.

animusfurandi

Lurker
May 24, 2014
It occurred to me today that if I were to start smoking a pipe now, I think I would be totally lost about what tobaccos to smoke first and how to really get a firm grounding about tobacco blends.
You know, you'd think that...and you'd totally be right. But really, the best way to approach this is the best way to approach just about anything and just jump right in. I've had a lot of fun buying things that sound good based on descriptions and reviews, and admittedly, I'm a sucker for a clever name or tin label. There's no rush, and I've enjoyed learning one tin or ounce of bulk at a time.
For me, the wealth of options isn't the most daunting aspect, it's the lack of readily-available resources. What I'm really finding myself at odds with is the fact that smoking a pipe just isn't done very often anymore, and society no longer has much tolerance for tobacco use in general. When I started searching for brick and mortar stores that sold pipes and tobacco, I found none, which really surprised me considering I live in Virginia, and one of the most populous areas of Virginia to boot. My town has one small store dedicated to pipes and cigars, and it's staffed by complete jerks, so I don't patronize it. I'm exceedingly jealous when I hear about how nice everyone is at everyone else's tobacconist. It's great having the internet and all, and I've gotten some outstanding service from reputable online dealers, but I know I'm still missing out.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Ive smoked pipes for 4 mths I think. My approach was. Find the natural types, then the blending flavors. I also bought around 20 estate pipes of different sizes and types, mostly briar. Tried a ceramic and some off wood pipe. I would find pure versions of each to get the taste registered to my palate. I could then look at blends sold that catered to my preferences. The same went for pipes. I find I like Canadians and thick blowled pipes best.
Some info from my Notes:
Basic Tobaccos
Virginia Tobacco Bright leaf tobacco is commonly known as "Virginia tobacco", regardless of where in the world it is harvested.

Burley Tobacco is a light air-cured tobacco used primarily for cigarette production.

Oriental Tobacco (Turkish tobacco) is a sun-cured, highly aromatic, small-leafed variety (Nicotiana tabacum) that is grown in Turkey, Greece, Bulgaria, Lebanon, and the Republic of Macedonia. Oriental tobacco is frequently referred to as "Turkish tobacco". Many of the early brands of cigarettes were made mostly or entirely of Oriental tobacco; today, its main use is in blends of pipe and especially cigarette tobacco (a typical American cigarette is a blend of bright Virginia, burley and Oriental).

Corojo is type of tobacco primarily in the making of cigars, originally grown in the Vuelta Abajo region of Cuba developed and used as a wrapper.

Criollo is primarily used in the making of cigars. It was, by most accounts, one of the original Cuban tobaccos that emerged around the time of Columbus. The term means native seed, and thus a tobacco variety using the term, such as Dominican Criollo, may or may not have anything to do with the original Cuban seed nor the recent hybrid, Criollo '98.
Blending Flavors:

Perique is the most strongly flavored of all tobaccos and from Saint James Parish, Louisiana. When the Acadians made their way into this region in 1755, the Choctaw and Chickasaw tribes were cultivating a variety of tobacco with a distinctive flavor. A farmer called Pierre Chenet is credited with first turning this local tobacco into the Perique in 1824 through the technique of pressure-fermentation.

Considered the truffle of pipe tobaccos, the Perique is used as a component of many blended pipe tobaccos, but is too strong to be smoked pure. At one time, the freshly moist Perique was also chewed, but none is now sold for this purpose. It is traditionally a pipe tobacco, and is still very popular with pipe-smokers, typically blended with pure Virginia to lend spice, strength, and coolness to the blend.
Latakia is a specially prepared tobacco originally produced in Syria and named after the port city of Latakia. Now the tobacco is mainly produced in Cyprus. It is initially sun-cured like other Turkish tobaccos and then further cured over a pine or oak wood fire, which gives it an intense smokey-peppery taste and smell. Too strong for most people's tastes to smoke straight, it is used as a "condiment" or "blender", especially in English, Balkan, and some American Classic blends.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I have taken a more leisurely paced approach to this hobby than it seems many others have. I have only been doing this pipe smoking thing for almost a year now and I've only had 19 new blends. I have 3 tins right now that are unopened, doing their aging thing (Va and English). There are 19 1oz jars in my cabinet for reflection later to see how I feel about them, I've only bought a few repeats since starting. The rest I have worked through focusing on a few blends at any one time so I can gain a well formed opinion on them. Hard to say how you truly feel about a blend if you smoke a couple bowls today and don't revisit it for months because you have 20 blends open and in rotation.
It is easy to get swept up by this hobby, especially if you have some disposable income. Take it easy, I thought that was what pipe smoking was all about: taking your time.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Some folks know so much about art that they fail to enjoy it.
Find a few blends you enjoy. Whatever they might be, similar or dissimilar. The fact that you enjoy them is enough.
Try to smoke a tin of one at a time. Or one blend for day, another for evening. But focus a week of smoking on one or no more than two. One is best.
Once a month or so introduce a new blend to the rotation. Feel free to phase out or cellar a blend you are worn out on.
Smoke and build a cellar on blends that you enjoy. Experiments are necessary, but hardly the primary focus once past initial foundation of tastes are established.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
animus:
I'm a "book" guy. There's a tremendous amount of information here. But I will say that it tends to be blend-specific and technique-specific, with a bit about the business side of things; there is less about the history. (Although there have been some phenomenal posts that have highlighted specific brands in the past, featuring tons of historical photos, ads, etc.) If you enjoy reading, I'd highly recommend Carl Ehwa's Book of Pipes and Tobaccos. To me, if you're only going to have or read one book on pipes/tobaccos, this should be it. But I'll also recommend Richard Hacker's Ultimate Pipe Book, which isn't perfect but is a highly entertaining and comprehensive look at the hobby. Both are out of print but can be found on the used market; check Amazon and eBay.
Also, you may want to check out the quarterly print magazine Pipes & Tobaccos: http://www.pt-magazine.com. It's quite well done.
You may also want to consider joining the NASPC: www.naspc.org. They publish a regular newsletter that's quite detailed. . . although it can be somewhat challenging to read; contributors can sometimes be quite "windy" -- with little point beyond "I'm going to write 2,000 words to tell you what I'm thinking about today" -- but there are some informational gems tucked in as well. Definitely worth the $10 membership level, which gets you a PDF subscription to the newsletter.
Of course, none of these things can fully replace the kind of experience you'd get visiting a well-stocked tobacconist with a friendly, experienced staff and a jovial clientele. Those shops are out there; there's one about six hours from me that I visit as often as possible. But they are rare -- and getting rarer every year.
Bob

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Bob: I imagine you're talking about Iwan Ries. That place is where I cut my teeth.
But I bought my first pipe and tobaccos in spring 2005 in Grand Haven, MI, at the Hostetter's Newsstand, which is one of a dying breed. I bought a couple of pipes there over the years and some tobacco. The owner steered me toward English blends after I tried and sort of liked their 1-Q. Eventually he got me into tins like Pelican and Nightcap.
When I moved to Chicago in fall 2005, I was at Iwan Ries at least once a month. Bought many pipes there. That's where I discovered the Pease range, which is pretty much most of what I smoke these days. Between talking to the folks at Iwan Ries, reading Pease's website, going to the Chicago show every year, and sifting through the old alt.smokers.pipes group, I feel like by 2007 I was a pretty competent pipe smoker. I was also smoking daily with at least one other friend, so we'd try all kinds of different blends and packing techniques and, uh, drink pairings. Now I smoke 99% of my pipes by my lonesome out here in Montana, and it's a different kind of pleasure. I miss the chats.
Forums have some of what individual experience has to offer, as does tobaccoreviews.com, but you really need a sifting method. Mine is to find folks whose tastes I agree with and who write well enough for me to read through thousands of their words to learn something. I'm a big fan of rmbittner and sablebrush52, among others, on this forum. I read whatever Pease and Pipestud have to say, wherever they say it. DK on tobaccoreviews.com is amazing. Not to say I agree with everything they say. I disagree with Bob all the time on this website, and Pipestud and I have very different tastes in tobacco, but they respond thoughtfully and with experience. I get really turned off by the 'next big thing' attitude that forums almost inherently promote. It's a balance between finding new stuff that works for you to keep yourself progressing and enjoying the hobby, and ignoring the bullshit that says that this blend, be it new or old, is really the only one worth having.
In short: yes, Bob, I understand what you are saying. But I think that by developing some sort of sifting skills, one can avoid the pitfalls of internet logorrhea.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
It really does take perseverance, and it's almost impossible without a mentor or a really good research source. I wish I had access to this forum about thirty years ago.
I remember once ordering a sampler pack of tobaccos, feeling ready to branch out from my Crown Royale aromatic. After about fifteen minutes of whatever English blend I was smoking I had to lay down on the couch for a couple hours sweating and with my eyes closed until the room stopped spinning. It took me many years to finally learn how to most enjoy different kinds of tobaccos. The process continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.