PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I just rambled through SP's Ropp pipe pages, all seven of them, and was impressed by the variety and the number of pipes at $40 and $45, with plenty more in graduated steps upward. If you are just starting out and building a rotation of six, eight, or a dozen pipes (over time) these are quality French pipes, some of them from vintage stummels, some with horn stems, most with Vulcanite stems, in many traditional shapes. I have a Ropp, a red stained apple with a raspberry colored stem, that I have enjoyed for years, and it still looks new. If you are expanding your briar stable, take a look at these.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I just rambled through SP's Ropp pipe pages, all seven of them, and was impressed by the variety and the number of pipes at $40 and $45, with plenty more in graduated steps upward. If you are just starting out and building a rotation of six, eight, or a dozen pipes (over time) these are quality French pipes, some of them from vintage stummels, some with horn stems, most with Vulcanite stems, in many traditional shapes. I have a Ropp, a red stained apple with a raspberry colored stem, that I have enjoyed for years, and it still looks new. If you are expanding your briar stable, take a look at these.
Ropp is a great value. Genod is another often overlooked French pipe of very good quality and reasonable prices.

Itz

Lurker
Jun 12, 2020
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look there when I go on my next buying spree!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I second the motion on Genod. I think their pipes run higher in price, in general, than Ropp, but they offer a range. I have a dandy little Genod bent egg, with a bowl that is notably ample. Most French pipes are well above their price point in quality.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have owned quite a few of of Ropp, Jeanet and Genod and other French made pipes, what amazes me especially with Ropp U.S export pipes is quality of Briar especially in their Algerian Superior line,($100) just very nice and flawless in every aspect , nontheless worthwile mentioning that Jeanet & Ropp may or may not have stems fitted with tenons which take 4mm removable metal stringers and, as a such,if you are smoking them without stringers the draw might be a bit airy',the same stands true for these pipes mortises ,if the pipe is supposed to accomodate removable metal stringer then in that case they use to drill mortise more wide open, on the other hand those pipes with no stringer bore,brand names like Comoys, Chacom and others ,and same as with my latest Genod asquisition the airflow/draw may seem to be a bit more restricted in comparison to pipes like Stanwell or Peterson

Reactions: chopper and mso489

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That poker sitter is one that caught my eye. Those kinds of pipes are especially convenient if you are smoking while working at a bench or desk. Once you get the rhythm, you almost don't miss a puff.

Reactions: dcon

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
That poker sitter is one that caught my eye. Those kinds of pipes are especially convenient if you are smoking while working at a bench or desk. Once you get the rhythm, you almost don't miss a puff.

My skills aren't quite there yet. But I do appreciate the style and for $38 it's a no-brainer. Thanks again for the tip. Cheers.

Sparks317

Lurker
Jun 24, 2020
Indianapolis
Being a beginner pipe smoker i can second this, and also would like to point out Rossi pipes made by Savinelli. They’re very affordable with great shapes and finishes. Both brands caught my eye from the start because of their price point.