PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jt100

Lurker
Jan 25, 2020
Rochester,NY
Hello. This is my first post, so be easy on me?. I’ve recently taken up pipe smoking after a few years of cigars (mostly maduros). I must admit, tho that I find pipe smoking much more enjoyable. I love the whole process. I’ve had a few aromatics (1Q, Captain Black, Sunset Rum, Autumn Evening). I did find them enjoyable, but seemed a bit thin but smelled nice. Something not too offensive to smoke at home. I then bought a tin of Plum Pudding. Much better. I just had a bowl of GL Pease Westminster. Wow. Totally in my wheelhouse. I absolutely love the smoky, savoriness of it. I assume it’s the Latakia? Not sure. Are there any other Latakia forward blends that I should try? I like strong flavor but not a lot of nicotine. Im also an IPA guy, if that’s any help.
Thanks and I’m learning a lot here,
John

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Welcome John. One of my favorites is Presbyterian and it's on sale right now at SmokingPipes.com

• Love
Reactions: Elric

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Welcome to the forum from Knik River, Alaska! It is indeed the Latakia, so english/balkan blends might be your jam. You should branch out and try some other stuff too though, virginias, virginia-periques (va/pers), burley blends, etc.

Here is my list of favorite english/balkans FWIW. Some are easy to get, some not so easy:

Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding, Plum Pudding Special Reserve, and Plum Pudding Barrel Aged
Arango/Stokkebye Balkan Supreme
Boswell's Northwoods
Smoker's Haven Our Best Blend
Esoterica Margate
Esoterica Penzance

Welcome again!
242a47f8-bf3b-4082-a05f-3fb6c8723e6a.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Dr_Harshit_Joshi

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
C&D Star of the East, at this point you can forget about Penzance. SOTE is better and way easier to find!

Dan Tobacco Old Ironsides is great, that’s one I don’t see promoted around here.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
It looks like you enjoy English blends, but that doesn't mean you won't also enjoy Virginia and Burley blends too! Check out some Orlik Golden Sliced, a great virginia flake for beginners, and Cornell & Diehl Pegasus, a popular burley blend. Also check out Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired, it tends to be standby for those that enjoy both burley and savory latakia flavors.

Aromatics tend to require more pipe smoking "skill" to draw a lot out of them.

Rebub24

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2019
It is definitely the Latakia that you are drawn to. If you like Westminster then you should also try Chelsea Morning, Quite Nights and Maltese Falcon by G.L. Pease, Blackhouse by Hearth & Home, Old Dublin and Nightcap by Peterson.

I would also suggest that you check out some blends with Dark Fired Kentucky. Mac Baren's HH Old Dark Fired and HH Bold Kentucky, Peterson Irish Flake, G.L. Pease Six Pence, and Samuel Gawith Lakeland Dark

Reactions: anotherbob

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
I'll bet you would enjoy My Mixture 965.

This is a good English to recommend to a cigar guy-- it has that cedary-leathery thing going for it that would likely appeal. Also wish to second the Old Dark Fired recommendation.

As for my own, I'm not an english smoker, but I think a cigar person would appreciate the following:

Rattray's - Old Gowrie/Hal o' The Wynd/Brown Clunee
McConnell's - Scottish Cake/Scottish Flake/Scottish Blend ( these are 3 different tobaccos)

Magpiety

Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
Glad you're enjoying it! Here are some bulk blends that can be had cheaply:

English - Father Dempsey
Balkan - Arango Balkan Supreme (mentioned by other users)
Scottish - H&H Sunjammer, Sutliff Match 20
American English - Stokkebye English Luxury
American - Country Doctor, Match Barking Dog
Virginia - Sutliff 515
Va/Per - Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake
Burley - Match Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, C&D Pegasus

AuroraSurrealis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2019
Finland
G.L Pease Gaslight, absolutely. As an occasional cigar smoker I find similar virtues in Gaslight as good cigar often offers.

brunot

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2017
Slovakia
I can only second Presbyterian, it's one of my favorites. I've also been enjoying Black Mallory from Rattray's, which is similar, although a bit heavier on nicotine in comparison.

If you're into flakes, try out SG Navy Flake. Just the right amount of rum topping IMHO and a fair amount of latakia. Strength-wise on the mild-medium side, but plenty of flavor.

Reactions: Elric

maulragoth

Jan 30, 2018
Hello. This is my first post, so be easy on me?. I’ve recently taken up pipe smoking after a few years of cigars (mostly maduros). I must admit, tho that I find pipe smoking much more enjoyable. I love the whole process. I’ve had a few aromatics (1Q, Captain Black, Sunset Rum, Autumn Evening). I did find them enjoyable, but seemed a bit thin but smelled nice. Something not too offensive to smoke at home. I then bought a tin of Plum Pudding. Much better. I just had a bowl of GL Pease Westminster. Wow. Totally in my wheelhouse. I absolutely love the smoky, savoriness of it. I assume it’s the Latakia? Not sure. Are there any other Latakia forward blends that I should try? I like strong flavor but not a lot of nicotine. Im also an IPA guy, if that’s any help.
Thanks and I’m learning a lot here,
John
Awesome for you brother. I have had a similar experience growing back into the pipe. My favorite for the smokiness of Latakia is GL Pease Gaslight. I hope you give it a shot. I've gone through tins of Plumb Putting, Pirate Kake, Mississippi Mud, amongst helpings of many other Latakia heavy blends and for me Gaslight was my first favorite that continues to be. I'll have to give it a shot again since I keep saving my tins of it, but I'm pretty sure it will stay as my topper.

p.s. don't be afraid to smoke some Latakia straight. It's good too IMO :)

Reactions: Jt100
Status
Not open for further replies.