PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I've been smoking pipes and cigars for 25 years or so. I collected some expensive pipes over the years. This may sound odd, but I discovered cobs only in the last two or three years. I just avoided them all those years. Picked up a cob on a lark and it just blew me away. I realized that pipe tobacco tastes better for me in cobs. English, vapers, va's, anything. No idea why, but it just does. I thought at first it was a fluke, but nope. It hasn't changed for me. The flavors just shine for me in cobs. I still have three or four briars, but I almost never smoke them. I sold all of my expensive briar pipes and used that money to buy more tobacco. I don't regret it one bit. So to address this thread, for me anyway, the shape or any specific feature of a pipe really didn't make a difference for me. Switching to cobs certainly did.
Given the choice between;
- MM cob pipes + a healthy cellar with a vast range of blends. Or,
- A full rotation of fancy pipes and a sad little cellar of tobacco,

I'd take the MM cobs and a healthy cellar of baccy every single time.

Don't care what the snobs might think, MM cobs are as good a smoker that money can buy.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
After travelling 1500 miles from home and forgetting your pipes and tobacco, you arrive at the only B&M in town to find the only tobacco left on the shelf is a 15 year old tin of Prince Albert.
You instead choose to sit on their front steps and ponder whether to purchase and smoke it, or perhaps slowly freeze to death..
An online friend who was helping me get tobacco from the U.S., kindly added a pouch of Prince Albert to one of my orders.
It's a rather decent smoke IMO, especially in an MM cob, and I'm glad to have tried the blend.

Hope you decided to buy the tin before you froze to death. puffy

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There should come a point when tobacco takes precedence over buying pipes, unless you are doing restorations for sale or developing a specific collection, like chasing with his 904's or sable' with his Barlings. And there should come a point when you stop buying tobacco to catch up with your leaf purchases of the past. Don't want to be miserly, just sensible.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
Unless the pipe has gorgeous grains or eyes, and a Peterson, I'll stick with stocking up on tobacco. You can still smoke with one pipe. No tobacco, no smoking.
And the harsh reality is, if tobacco does become scarce, pipes (especially estate pipes) will become plentiful. Everyone who didn't stock up on tobacco will sell those expensive pipes, for pennies on the dollar, to the limited few who have well stocked cellars.