PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Hello all. New to pipe smoking here - 2 months. Own a few cobs, and a couple Brighams. I've had good luck smoking, getting used to packing, lighting, smoking for full flavor. All of my pipes produce a good to great experience, except my new Brigham Black Satin 845. It is my only pipe that I can't get a full flavor from. Not sure if it's bowl depth, stem length, or something I'm doing wrong. I've tried Red VAs, burley, and today, mac Baren #1 and I just can't get a full flavor smoke from it. It tastes muted, or a faint flavor behind air. Any advice?

dcicero

Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Not many bowls smoked, mainly because it's a loong less than desirable experience...maybe 3. Removed the filter.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

The filter... removing the filter may do the trick?

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
My advice would be to keep smoking. I just went through this with a hardcastle pipe. Nothing smoked right until I introduced it to a select group of English blends. Now it smokes better.

Patience and experimentation will lead you on the right path. If you end up deciding to get rid of the Brigham, send me a message and some pictures

dcicero

Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Thanks seanv, I'll take your advice and keep you in mind. Love the pipe, just hope it comes around.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Some folks like the added "flavor" that raw briar can impart. Others hate it. Some of us are neutral.
Soldier on; it will get better!

dcicero

Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Will pack lighter next time, and give it a bit more time. I hope it does become my #1! I have a Brigham Santinated 26 and it smokes Opening Night beautifully.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I have an old Savinelli 614 that does this and I have never really worked out why. It just mutes half the flavour of any blend I put in it. It actually works out quite well for some blends. Revor Plug smokes nicely in it.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I have had a handful of new pipes come a little "green" or whatever. Briar is fickle and can be different, so it has been rare but has happened. The wood felt young, and wet, and the early smokes were airy, and sometimes "watery" for lack of a better term. However, a dozen or two bowls in, the briar seasoned up and started tasting like a good pipe. I make pipes, and I still can't tell you what exactly causes this to happen. I had one pipe in particular which was the worst, but I have acquired many pipes from the same company and this was the only one. The other pipe I recall was from an artisan carver, and I have many of his pipes, only one had this problem and I know he sources his briar from the same place every time. So don't blame Brigham and carry on. It will be better.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Crash- I totally agree with some briars being green. Or at least containing more moisture than is good for a nice smoke, as the briar isn't absorbing anything, and may in fact be contributing to moisture in the bowl.
I suggested smoking very dry tobacco and all the way to the bottom to create enough heat to drive out some of that moisture.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I’m with the balance here, OP. I own many cobs and briars.
Just keep running bowls through it, I’m betting it just needs breaking in. Thinking about it, most of my briars weren’t truly ‘ready’ until I’d smoked 8-10 bowls. After that you should notice a difference. My only ‘rule’ is burleys in cobs. ;-) (Unless I’m exorcising a ghost).
Hang in there and report back! Happy piping :)

Status
Not open for further replies.