PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

SpyHill

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2022
Victoria, BC
My first pipe was an inexpensive Dr. Grabow Lark for learning the ropes (few complaints here, once the stinger was out), but this is my first pipe bought for quality, given my budget constraints. I really like the grain and colour. Quite pleased. I was able to go to a local tobacco shop and choose my pipe, which is a much better experience than browsing online. I've heard good things about Lorenzetti, so I'm keen to try it out. I also picked up a wind-cap for those gusty prairie days.

Augustus2.jpg
Augustus1.jpg

Cheers

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Wow, yeah, Goodfellas. Are you from Victoria? Nice shops, good guys.
I've spent a good bit of time in Victoria and absolutely love it there. I would move to Port Hardy area in heartbeat if I could.

Goodfellas is great. Nice people and they keep a great shop

Reactions: SpyHill
Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
I have two Lorenzetti’s. Love ‘em, especially for the price. Both of mine have the rustic finish. I’m liking the looks of that smooth finish! Good looking pipe!

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Great value pipes. I love mine. Try it both with and without the adapter to see if you like the more open draw or if you're a filter guy, use that. My only complaint is that they make them too shiny. Before the first smoke I took the 600 grit sandpaper to mine :)

SpyHill

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2022
Victoria, BC
Great value pipes. I love mine. Try it both with and without the adapter to see if you like the more open draw or if you're a filter guy, use that. My only complaint is that they make them too shiny. Before the first smoke I took the 600 grit sandpaper to mine :)
I was just going to ask about this. I just tried to smoke it, and it was like learning to smoke a pipe all over again. I couldn't get the thing to stay lit. I had the same issue with my Grabow, and I removed the stinger and it smoked like a charm.

I was thinking of removing the adaptor. I don't plan on getting into filters, simply because that's just another thing to buy, and I didn't mind the open draw with the Grabow. But is a Lorenzetti without an adaptor too open? I think I saw someone say it was "unsmokeable."

Any experience with this, bassbug and AcesandEights?

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I found the draw to be too open without the adapter but there's a third option...you can drill out the adapter so that its wider than original and yet smaller than without it.

The adapters are cheap so you can experiment with different size openings till you get exactly what you like

Reactions: Briarberg

SpyHill

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2022
Victoria, BC
I found the draw to be too open without the adapter but there's a third option...you can drill out the adapter so that its wider than original and yet smaller than without it.

The adapters are cheap so you can experiment with different size openings till you get exactly what you like
All right. I just tested drawing on my Grabow and compared it to the Lorenzetti without the adaptor, and the Lorenzetti still seemed to have more resistance. I'll try without it first and see if there are problems, then adjust if needed. It could also be that I rushed the packing to try it out and packed too tight. Cheers.

SpyHill

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2022
Victoria, BC
Curious. My hope with my Lorenzetti is that, when well packed, it will stay lit even if I set it down for, say, thirty seconds or a minute. I've heard some pipes can stay lit for minutes without a draw. My Grabow stays lit as long as it's in my mouth, but as soon as I stop, it goes out and I have to relight. I keep it clenched and do the whole breath smoking thing so typically that's not an issue.

So do you find that it tends to stay lit for a time without near constant drawing?

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Interesting. I can't say I've experienced this with any of my pipes but then again I've never really timed it. usually, if I've stopped actively smoking it means I've been distracted, put my pipe down and chances are it will be several minutes at least before I get back to it. I've never quite gotten the hang of just keeping a pipe passively in my mouth.

SpyHill

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2022
Victoria, BC
Interesting. I can't say I've experienced this with any of my pipes but then again I've never really timed it. usually, if I've stopped actively smoking it means I've been distracted, put my pipe down and chances are it will be several minutes at least before I get back to it. I've never quite gotten the hang of just keeping a pipe passively in my mouth.
When you said it was "too open" without the adapter, what happened? Tongue bite?

I didn't have much more success without it. I may go down to Goodfellas to get some advice. Shouldn't be harder to smoke than an old Grabow.

Reactions: ofafeather

mateusbrown

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2022
Georgia, USA
I've got a Lorenzetti Titus #23 shape, and I have been smoking it several days a week for a few months now. I have tried it with and without the adapter, never with a filter. I cannot tell much difference. I get some condensation either way, but that is probably because I'm smoking Lane tk6 cherry out of it. This was the first pipe I got a few months ago. As soon as I realized how much I enjoyed pipe smoking, I got another and then another...I'm up to six now, so now the Lorenzetti is the cherry pipe. If I am not paying attention, it will go out, although I have that same issue with other ones like the Peterson system p-lip, too. I tend to be doing other things while smoking a pipe.

SpyHill

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2022
Victoria, BC
I've got a Lorenzetti Titus #23 shape, and I have been smoking it several days a week for a few months now. I have tried it with and without the adapter, never with a filter. I cannot tell much difference. I get some condensation either way, but that is probably because I'm smoking Lane tk6 cherry out of it. This was the first pipe I got a few months ago. As soon as I realized how much I enjoyed pipe smoking, I got another and then another...I'm up to six now, so now the Lorenzetti is the cherry pipe. If I am not paying attention, it will go out, although I have that same issue with other ones like the Peterson system p-lip, too. I tend to be doing other things while smoking a pipe.
Awesome. Yeah, I was struggling at first. The Lorenzetti requires me to be a bit more intentional with the draws than does my very open Grabow, but once I got that sorted it was a great smoke.

I've heard of that syndrome -- pipe collector's syndrome. I've managed to avoid it by not having very much disposable cash.

Enjoy.

Reactions: ofafeather