New Pipe: I'm Unable to Puff Easily on a New Pipe Despite Everything Being Clear

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Bill Shalosky Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
2 Fresh Kent Rasmussen Pipes
New Cigars
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Andrew Womble

Lurker
Nov 17, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hello,

I recently bought a Brigham Voyager pipe which worked fine for the first couple of smokes but has recently stopped functioning properly as it has become very difficult to puff on. When separating the Bowl from the stem, both parts are clear. I can easily draw air through the bowl and also the stem but when I put the two together, it's not easy to puff on. It is also worth noting that the stem does not easily slide into the mortis and it takes some force to get it in there. The pipe works great when I insert one of my Dr. Grabow stems in so I'm thinking that is where the issue is perhaps. I'm curious to learn why after 2 smokes, it stopped working correctly. I always wait for my pipes to completely cool off before I remove the stem so I don't think that is the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
I don't own any Brighams, or any pipes with a filter but I'm pretty sure those have a filter/Rock Maple Insert and I suspect that is the culprit.

Reactions: chopper and J.GANDY

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I had a pipe like that sent it back to the place I bought it and am waiting to hear what they think. It just seemed to clog up for no good reason, have no idea why. Cleaned it more thoroughly then I have ever with any pipe and it still clogged up in less then 10 minutes.

Reactions: chopper

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I would expect the filter to cause you a problem. Check it see if that is the problem. Other alternatives: you are packing the tobacco the tobacco too tight or the pipe is misdrilled.

Andrew Womble

Lurker
Nov 17, 2020
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm not a big fan of filters so I always take them out when purchasing a new pipe so that isn't the problem. The obstruction of airflow happens when the bowl is empty with both the bowl and stem easily pulling in air when separated but doesn't work when the two are put together. so I'm wondering if the Mortis is not drilled correctly but then again, it works fine with a Dr. Grabow stem.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I'm enjoying my first bowl in my first Brigham. I will let you know if I have a similar issue.
I'm using the filter fwiw.

Hope you get things resolved.

Cotton1

tomatamot

Part of the Furniture Now
May 26, 2020
EU
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm not a big fan of filters so I always take them out when purchasing a new pipe so that isn't the problem. The obstruction of airflow happens when the bowl is empty with both the bowl and stem easily pulling in air when separated but doesn't work when the two are put together. so I'm wondering if the Mortis is not drilled correctly but then again, it works fine with a Dr. Grabow stem.
If so, problem solved.