Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishpiper

Lurker
Apr 18, 2021
Hello all,

I was hoping for a little bit of guidance.

I have only been smoking a pipe for around four months, but have quite taken to it.

For the past 20 years I have been a cigarette smoker with the odd foray into cigars and the odd nod to a pipe. However, the past four months have been a revelation and I haven’t had, or wanted a cigarette since.

I am aiming to get myself a number of pipes together that will serve most of my needs.

I find myself leaning to flake and plunge tobaccos with quite a bit of Virginia in there.

I currently have one Northern Briar, 3 Peterson, 2 Julius Vesz, 1 Savenelli and one Erik Nording.
My question is, with this as a starting batch of pipes and my leaning towards flake, if you could recommend pipes and tobaccos to try that I can source in Ireland, I would be very grateful indeed.F744DA73-9F9A-4E31-A62D-B0FF5532EC6E.jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You haven't heard of PAD? That's Pipe Acquisition Disorder. The truth is, you have all the pipes you need for years to come, despite the fact that most Forums members have dozens, scores, hundreds, just from the enjoyment of acquiring pipes. Your pipes all look Group 4 medium sized, and they will do for most smoking. You might consider a small bowl pipe for sampling, auditioning really strong blends, and short smokes. You might consider an extra large pipe of some kind for longer smokes, and a churchwarden for smoking seated in an arm chair (very relaxed). But with what you have, you can smoke partial bowls for a short smoke, and for longer smokes just use cuts like flake, rope, coin, or plug, each properly sliced, rubbed out, or folded and stuffed. You don't need any more pipes, but you may come to want them.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Virginias tend to have less nicotine than burleys if you're trying to break the inhaling habit.
You might like Mick McQuade and/or St Bruno. I don't imagine you can get any US tobaccos since the restrictions on shipping have become so onerous.
BTW, where are you in Ireland?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am sorry but I cannot help you in terms of what tobacco's are available but I would think the brand of Peterson would be fully available. If that is the case then I would go after Peterson Flake(which used to be Dunhill Flake, which is a really nice straight Virginia Flake.

Peterson Deluxe Navy Rolls used to be Dunhill Navy Rolls which is a nice Virginia Perique blend . Peterson Irish Flake is a straight up Virginia/Burley that has a kick for a Virginia Burley. Peterson University flake is a Virginia/Burley with a top note of plum flavoring and is really nice in my opinion. Peterson Perfect Plug or can be called Peterson 3P's. Is a plug that is a real brick and is a tough plug to play with but worth iit in my opinion.

If you can get Samuel Gawith products, I would go for the following.
Best Brown Flake, St James Flake and I would stay away from their Full Virginia Flake until you are really proficient in smoking flakes. I have 43 flakes or plugs in my cellar and Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake is the most finicky.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I am sorry but I cannot help you in terms of what tobacco's are available but I would think the brand of Peterson would be fully available. If that is the case then I would go after Peterson Flake(which used to be Dunhill Flake, which is a really nice straight Virginia Flake.

Peterson Deluxe Navy Rolls used to be Dunhill Navy Rolls which is a nice Virginia Perique blend . Peterson Irish Flake is a straight up Virginia/Burley that has a kick for a Virginia Burley. Peterson University flake is a Virginia/Burley with a top note of plum flavoring and is really nice in my opinion. Peterson Perfect Plug or can be called Peterson 3P's. Is a plug that is a real brick and is a tough plug to play with but worth iit in my opinion.

Best Brown Flake, St James Flake and I would stay away from their Full Virginia Flake until you are really proficient in smoking flakes. I have 43 flakes or plugs in my cellar and Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake is the most finicky.

Very helpful post, Harris. Kudos.

Irishpiper

Lurker
Apr 18, 2021
Wow! I am really grateful for such quick responses.
Firstly MSO, I take on board what you say about PAD, I will certainly keep a check on that!
Edger, I am based on Belfast, Northern Ireland. I have seen St Bruno in my local tobacco shop. I will give that a go.
Cigrmaster, they was a full and comprehensive response, I really appreciate it! I will take a little time to work through that. I have tried the Peterson Irish flake and really enjoy it, but I will take some time and enjoy working through the others.
to everyone who has replied, I really appreciate your time and effort.
I hope to hear from you all in the further.

Irishpiper

Lurker
Apr 18, 2021

Thank you so much for this response.
To be honest, I didn’t quite understand the differences between Burley and Virginia and this has made it very clear.
Thank you!

Reactions: OzPiper and edger

Irishpiper

Lurker
Apr 18, 2021
So you speak Norn Iron. I've spent some time over there as my Mom was from Maguiresbridge. I don't think you are allowed NOT to smoke a Falcon in Belfast, it's the law.
Enjoy your time here and scarf down a wheaten farl for me!
The thought of smoking a Falcon doesn’t do it for me, but I have seen plenty of it.
As for the dark, it is certainly a weekend thing!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
What happened to the finish on that Savinelli? The Bacco line tends to be quite shiny.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Status
Not open for further replies.