PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Red Leader

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2022
Colorado
I feel almost guilty making this post. Never thought I'd be doing it actually. As a total newbie Kaywoodie collector, I've got about 4 of them - a far cry from the 'well I sold off about 250 of them and now I'm down to only several dozen...' type of posts that I see on here haha. I'm also cheap when it comes to pipes, so most of the auctions quickly go into the stratosphere, and felt I've 'snuck by' on the ones I've gotten.

Which is also why I'm nearly in shock that I am the new owner of a Kaywoodie Centennial.

You really don't want to hear me yammer on, you want to see the pipe. Guy I got it from was a complete gentleman, feel very blessed for seeing it before anyone else snagged it.

CT3.jpg

CT4.jpg

CT5.jpg

CT7.jpg

CT8.jpg

Pipe is in remarkable shape for its age. Feels really solid, heavy...in a good way. It doesn't seem to have been smoked much. Has some bite marks that are nearing 'chew through' on the stem that will need attention, but wanted to sharpen my bit repair/blending skills before doing this one. Had a little bit of a chew mark on the metal attachment, so I cleaned that up and very gently smoothed the transition -

CT1.jpg

CT2.jpg

I've only smoked it once. Getting back into tobacco pipes, I sort of did a 'sampler set' of about 20 different tobaccos that I thought sounded good to expand my palette. I generally prefer aromatics, but thought this pipe deserved something different, so I started it out with some GW Dark Birds Eye. Next up will probably be either Macbaren HH Dark Fired ready rubbed or Balkan Supreme.

In looking up Kaywoodie Centennials, there are not many posts or pictures, so I thought I would add to the small collective. If my eyes were not mistaking me, I think I saw another KW Centennial sell recently, a straight bulldog type, in a small lot of med-higher end pipes. Someone also got a deal on that one.

Looking forward to the next smoke in this one!

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
You have me all hyped up for your new pipe and it is a beaut! Super cool when you find a special pipe that really calls to you. Thanks for sharing

Red Leader

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2022
Colorado
Thank you all, I appreciate it! Next up is some Balkan Supreme, today!

The grain has my curiosity piqued. Mostly about grading standards. Kaywoodie, along with some other companies, advertised a lot of their higher end pipes as having that 'only 1 in 5000' or 'only 1 in 20,000' line of marketing that their top pipes meet some requirement to be good enough to be just that. I'm thinking of pipes like the Centennial, the Comoy's 'Specimen', the Ehrlich '25', and others. I'm sure many more big production companies had these types of models.

What was their grading standards for briar? What made them choose this piece? I only ask because well yes I do think it is a handsome piece, but have I seen better or more standout pieces? Yes! And from some of their lower end pipes as well haha. So I'm thinking I must be missing something, or it must have to do with my ignorance around briar and judging quality. From a company as big as Kaywoodie, who had access to some of the best briar ever used in pipes, my perception would be that each piece used for a pipe like this would be a total standout, completely memorable. Maybe if I ever get the chance to ask Bill F, I'll bring up the subject.

Red Leader

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2022
Colorado
Had some Balkan Supreme over the weekend, was great...next up some HH Dark Fired Ready Rubbed! Once I re-break it in, going to repair the stem from the chew marks.