PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I've noticed that Petersons stored in their original boxes seem to have the silver oxidize rather quickly. Maybe it's acid in the paper boxes or something. If you are going to keep it the box, put it in a ziplock bag. That'll help to keep the oxidation off it.
The silver on my Petes oxidize very slowly and, thusfar, not at all for my 2 spigots I've had of 1 and 2 years respectively. If/when they do, it's easily tended to with tobacco ash.

The silver on my Petes oxidize very slowly and, thusfar, not at all for my 2 spigots I've had of 1 and 2 years respectively. If/when they do, it's easily tended to with tobacco ash.
I hope no one is trying to say that the silver on Petes oxidizes any faster than any other sterling silver. I don't think you are, but being a Pete thread, someone will get that idea. All sterling is of the exact same composition, so no sterling is better than another. argentium now, that's a different story. But, that would have to be stamped as such, being British (or is Ireland still a part of Britain?) anyways, argentium silver was formulated by my buddy, James Binnion, and it doesn't oxidize, and it is .925 also. But, I haven't heard of it being used in pipe production... yet. Maybe it should be, but it requires an extra step in production that would make it a tad more expensive.

Mar 1, 2014
I just give all my silver a good coating of wax and let it tarnish over time.
ALL polishing is destructive, and while conservative polishing on a thick spigot might not even be visibly detrimental in your lifetime, ultimately the harsh reality is that time will destroy anything made of Silver, either it completely sulfidates or it will be polished into nothing.
I enjoy things a lot more with less maintenance so I keep them tarnished.

Reactions: PipeIT and STP
Mar 1, 2014
I hope no one is trying to say that the silver on Petes oxidizes any faster than any other sterling silver. I don't think you are, but being a Pete thread, someone will get that idea. All sterling is of the exact same composition, so no sterling is better than another. argentium now, that's a different story. But, that would have to be stamped as such, being British (or is Ireland still a part of Britain?) anyways, argentium silver was formulated by my buddy, James Binnion, and it doesn't oxidize, and it is .925 also. But, I haven't heard of it being used in pipe production... yet. Maybe it should be, but it requires an extra step in production that would make it a tad more expensive.
Funny that the Wiki for Argentium makes no mention of James Binnion.
I don't doubt multiple people can have the same good idea at the same though, and of course collaborative efforts make naming an inventor a real minefield.

Funny that the Wiki for Argentium makes no mention of James Binnion.
I don't doubt multiple people can have the same good idea at the same though, and of course collaborative efforts make naming an inventor a real minefield.
Yeh, alloys are not invented, but I think you know this. Metallurgist/engineers are sort of the unsung heroes behind any new alloy or it's use in production. I met James through Ganoksin, a worldwide metalsmith's organization that helps to share ideas with jewelers, lapidaries, and anyone who wants to use metal in production. He is not one to take a lot of credit for anything, but if you are interested, you could dig around in some of their early 2000 publications and find many discoveries attributed to his involvement. He is most noted for bringing mokume gane into the 21st century for modern jewelers, but even that he doesn't taught as his alone, but many attribute this to him. If you wanted to get real nerdy about this, you could check out "Theory and Practice of Goldsmithing," the 2001 updated version by Brephol and McCreight. But, James and Chris Ploof will be your main contacts for information on most metallurgical processes involving alloys in the trade. For example if you had a problem to overcome in casting an alloy, James would be your man. He also happens to be an artist as well. A very humble, talented, and I know of no one more knowledgeable in metallurgy than him. A scientist artist of sorts.

Ha ha, but really this is way beyond the scope of what we are talking about.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
All of my pipes w/silver gets like this… A polishing cloth gets them looking like new again. I have several other pipes, including Savinelli, w/the nickel plating and they all look pristine. It’s the price you pay w/silver. I remember my grandmother always polishing her silverware, and my mother never polishing our cheap flatware?

Reactions: PipeIT and jpmcwjr

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Wife brought this home for me from her work yesterday, so I’m all good now. As far as using silver polishing cloths on the pipes silver work, not just this pipe, but any, does it polish the silver away over time, or that is an issue with silver polish, not cloths?

Thanks for all the input everyone! ?

A8173F89-2433-4F92-91A0-0FC1252F0E1C.jpeg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Wife brought this home for me from her work yesterday, so I’m all good now. As far as using silver polishing cloths on the pipes silver work, not just this pipe, but any, does it polish the silver away over time, or that is an issue with silver polish, not cloths?

Thanks for all the input everyone! ?

View attachment 108849
Use the rouge side (or whatever it is treated with) with a very gentle hand. You can always do it again, but it’s a pain when you put too much on. Wipe your entire pipe down with the buffing cloth after every smoke and you’ll be away winning.

Reactions: PipeIT

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Use the rouge side (or whatever it is treated with) with a very gentle hand. You can always do it again, but it’s a pain when you put too much on. Wipe your entire pipe down with the buffing cloth after every smoke and you’ll be away winning.
You wipe your briar down with the buffing side of these cloths?

I have a Dunhill polishing cloth, but when it dries out, I lightly spray it with silicone spray and then wipe the pipes with it.

4B3A1925-2F1F-4BB9-B3A2-8CECB1B7E01E.jpeg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Yep. I even use the rouge side in the briar occasionally. While I use them to keep the silver bands looking nice, my main use is for ebonite stems - rouge removes any light saliva/oxidisation (after a smoke not restoration), and the normal side buffs this off and adds a small preventative

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
Yep. I even use the rouge side in the briar occasionally. While I use them to keep the silver bands looking nice, my main use is for ebonite stems - rouge removes any light saliva/oxidisation (after a smoke not restoration), and the normal side buffs this off and adds a small preventative
I use a chamois to clean my stems. A bit water and my thumb to take the saliva and crud off. Then dry and polish with the chamois. Jewellers used to use chamois before jewellers cloths, because it's about as close as you can get to non abrasive. I maintain the polish on bowls with old fashioned brown paper.

Reactions: Ahi Ka