PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@bullet08 I wanted to mention you here, since you are quite the Peterson enthusiast, hoping you might have some feedback, it’s greatly appreciated.

I just purchased on SPC a Peterson Newgrange 124 Fishtail, I haven’t even smoked yet and in less than 2 weeks is already oxidizing. I didn’t think in this short a period of time, there would be this issue, or a need to polish it so suddenly.

I’ve never owned a Peterson with a Silver Spigot, what should I expect in terms of oxidation, how often, and how often a need for polishing, and if there’s any particular way to store the pipe to slow the oxidation process down.

I didn’t notice on SPC any Silver polish or cloths. I have some Flitz in a tube, not sure if this is good to use. My wife however to my luck manages a jewelry business and has a silver polish cloth at work I can use.

I’ve attached a picture, you can see it’s starting to show a golden hue to it now.

I was just getting ready to smoke the pipe for the first time, and then this.... ahhh :(

30A5CE9D-6601-46B1-A077-D27DC35FF500.jpeg

Last edited:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I have the silver tube of Fritz metal polish, ok, I’m not going to use this on silver.

I just noticed they make a Precious Metals polish;

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Silver will oxidize. I always polish after smoking my pipes. I don't know how long it will stay pristine after polish, but those hallmarked sterling silvers are not coated with anything and just being exposed to air will oxidize it sooner or later. My set of competition bagpipes are quarter silver set. Usually it needs good polish after long weekend at a highland game.

I don't use any heavy polish. Those polish will remove metal and possibly harm the finish on the briar. Get jewelry polish cloth that has mild polish for precious metals.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@georged I’m talking about the silver not the stem.

@bullet08 I assumed a silver cloth is the safest bet. I was editing the post over, not sure if you saw the Flitz Precious Metal polish link I posted? Thanks...

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Ah... you were referring to the silver.

Yup, silver changes color damn near overnight.

It's part of the charm. :)

Dampen a corner of paper towel, touch it to some cigar ash, and give the silver a scrubby wipe with it. Nothing more elaborate is required when the discoloration is mild to moderate.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Ash, hmm, I’ll just use a silver cloth...

My Jewelry Manager of a wife, said to place the pipe in a ziplock back to slow the oxidation down, oh well, nothing to loose by trying... LOL ?

C026CDDC-9168-4AAE-B7A4-89659CC8D558.jpeg

Reactions: JOHN72

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You expressed great concern in another thread about moisture and the time it takes to dry in Hawai'i. So do not store the pipe in a bag!

Ash on finger tips works fine, too! But your silver polishing cloth is the ticket.

Anyway, a bit of patina on the trimmings makes it look like you're not a fussy lad.

@cosmicfolklore I hadn’t smoked the pipe yet.

Oh well. It’s all good, I see now it doesn’t take long for them to oxidize, maybe the ziplock baggies storage method the wife suggested will slow it down.

Oh she realized she had a silver polish in the hose from her work, so I buffed it up, guess I’m smoking the ole Newgrange
tonight. :)

Thanks guys! :)

View attachment 108702
Depending on the polish, most commercial ones dissolves quite a bit of the metal. Just be careful. I do repairs for ten jewelry stores and I see a lot of damage done to jewelry by these.
I recommend a polishing cloth. The inside white sheet will quickly remove tarnish and the darker outside layer has a microcrystalline wax that will prevent further tarnish.
I’d just hate to see you remove the stamping on your spigot. But, if that’s all you got, just go easy.

A polishing cloth also will remove slight oxidation on your stems as well.

Enjoy your pipe!! I’m loading mine up with some Haunted Bookshop right now. Cheers.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
You expressed great concern in another thread about moisture and the time it takes to dry in Hawai'i. So do not store the pipe in a bag!

Ash on finger tips works fine, too! But your silver polishing cloth is the ticket.

Anyway, a bit of patina on the trimmings makes it look like you're not a fussy lad.

The humidity out here where I live varies around 50%-%60. I also run air conditioner all the time, so the house is drier.

The pipe in the baggie won’t have any excess humidity/moisture, but you bring up a very valid point, if I didn’t live in air conditioning with a drier climate in my house otherwise it would be to humid.

I’m a picky/choosy lad, yeah, I likes my toys shiny! LOL... ?

01CF137A-20BE-41CA-AF8A-B513524A8C2E.jpeg

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
She told me they sell these silver polish cloths at work, I told her to bring me one, her reply, it will cost you $16. I was like damm wife, buy it for me... LOL

I wonder if these cloths she has are wax on the darker side...

@cosmicfolklore oh nice, you in the jewelry business too. She started out in sales, it’s just a small mom and pop business, with a husband/wife who are the owners. It’s like these outdoor tourist like booths in a big outside roofed building. Now she manages the business, it’s at the end of our street too, she just walks like one block to work... LOL

94EEC4DB-CEDB-43D1-B471-F87B0FDC3160.jpeg

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
She told me they sell these silver polish cloths at work, I told her to bring me one, her reply, it will cost you $16. I was like damm wife, buy it for me... LOL

I wonder if these cloths she has are wax on the darker side...

@cosmicfolklore oh nice, you in the jewelry business too. She started out in sales, it’s just a small mom and pop business, with a husband/wife who are the owners. It’s like these outdoor tourist like booths in a big outside roofed building. Now she manages the business, it’s at the end of our street too, she just walks like one block to work... LOL

View attachment 108710
Oh cool, then I would defer to what she suggests. It’ll probably be easier on you, ha ha.

Reactions: PipeIT

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’m glad I got it polished up, I was just taking it out to give it the first smoke, then I was like wooo what happened, I’m sad now, I’m not going to get to smoke it, till I figure this.

But it’s all pretty and shiny now. :)

Just posted in What are you smoking...

Thanks everyone! ?

Last edited:
What?!!! I thought you detested Peterson pipes. ;)
I was just talking to a friend about this just now. I seem to pick up these bad boy things like this on here. I’ve said some tongue and cheek jokes about Petersons, but they were about the way people dog-pile pete threads, not as much about Peterson in general. I’m also not crazy about the looks of their bent ones. Maybe I’m just more memorable because my posts have an element of humor. But, I love their higher end pipes and some of their classic straight shapes.

1FE978B7-C37D-4FD0-AB37-01945D133888.jpeg

Its like cobs. I got into a curbstomp because I criticized how cob guys will post comments about high end pipes being stupid when you can have a cob for $15. That earned me the cob hater label. I just rolled with it because it was funny at the time. But, I have and smoke about six cobs. They are almost always hanging on my workbench when I post pics from my workbench.

It’s just odd how I tend to draw these “hater” labels because I post about some odd nuance of something. Do I love everything Peterson, NO. Do I think cobs are the best ever, NO. But, maybe it’s just because I’m so damned beautiful that it makes people want to make me out to be so dramatic. Ha ha. That’s ok. It’s funny to me, and it’s easier to turn it into a joke than to try to correct all the damned misconceptions.

Hell, I’ve posted about smoking Carter Hall when I am on my tractor or mowing the lawn, and people think I hate it for some reason, ha ha! Go figure. I can’t explain it.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I've noticed that Petersons stored in their original boxes seem to have the silver oxidize rather quickly. Maybe it's acid in the paper boxes or something. If you are going to keep it the box, put it in a ziplock bag. That'll help to keep the oxidation off it.

Reactions: PipeIT