PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
20130130_221125_zps0f321cc3.jpg

Yesterday I received this Peterson "Wicklow" 264 Canadian from Smokingpipes.com. The color and craggy sandblast is what caught my attention. The next thing I knew alarms were sounding and the PAD button was pressed. The Wicklow series is an exclusive at SP and after trying out this one I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another.
20130130_220715_zpsdfc72cdb.jpg

The Wicklow's have a brown under black stain which I like much better than the deep red under black that Peterson and many other makers use. The bowl has what would have been birdseye if not for the sandblast on one side and well defined concentric rings on the other that follow the curve of the heel. The grain is also dramatic on the wide oval shank. I love the look and feel of this pipe.
20130130_220354_zps6884f00a.jpg

The air hole is centered and enters precisely at the bottom of the chamber. For the first smoke I loaded the pre-carbed bowl up with cube cut Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flakes and enjoyed my new pipe while clear coating some wood trim in my workshop. I smoked slowly putting the pipe down often to let cool and managed to stretch the bowl out for the entire evening. The draw was perfect and I detected no trace of off tastes from the bowl coating just the sweet goodness of the Mac Baren leaf.
I love the texture of a sandblast and way an oval shank "self centers" while in the hand. I have a feeling this new Pete will see plenty of use. While I would have liked the Wicklow finish in a Lovat the Canadian style is a shape I didn't have in my Peterson collection and I am warming to it.

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
Am very jealous, that's a beautiful pipe. One day I'll get either that or the Peterson Harp

PETPIPEHARP264.gif

It's a while off yet, I do like a blasted/rusticated pipe but I would also love a cumberland stem.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Mike!!! I was looking at that same pipe, it is freaking nice. Its the perfect size, light weight and has an excellent blast. If you ever decide to get rid of it, let me know.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I've been looking at a Canadian for some time now. I've bought 6 pipes this month so I think I'll have to wait.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks guys! Just enjoying a second bowl of Vanilla Cream Flakes this afternoon and the pipe smokes great.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Very nice, so nice you made me go there & get one too! Needed a Canadian anyway, sure the wife will understand that.

Dec 24, 2012
Very nice. A Canadian is one of my favourite shapes. I know there has been some negative comments about Peterson pipes lately, but in my experience many of their pipes are fantastic. They have a long and proud tradition, and lets hope they have corrected whatever problems they have been having recently.

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
AWESOME!!! I got the same pipe from Smoking Pipes too! Petersons are great pipes, the Peterson Canadians are awesome, and the Wicklow has an amazing finish!
I'm glad I'm not the only one that instantly fell victim to the PAD on this one!!
May you enjoy yours for many years to come! I will give a personal toast to you and your Wicklow the next time I take miner out for a smoke! :puffy:

nobail

Might Stick Around
Dec 26, 2011
Oregon
Very nice looking pipe. I love my Aran 264 P lip as it smokes great. May it smoke well for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.