PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
As a Katrina refugee, I'm not familiar with the Skater_Bowl. Lots of new places have popped up in the last 8 years that I don't know about since I only return to my hometown for occassional business trips and Saints' games. Is Skater Bowl similar to Rock N Bowl? Living in Cajunland now and miss the Creole cuisine.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
I remember when John purchased Mid City Lanes and converted it to Rock N Bowl back in 1988. A lot of others around the country have tried to immitate his concept. They just don't have the access to Zydeco bands. He recently purchased Ye Old College Inn and has turned that place around as well.
I know what it means to miss New Orleans!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My daughter moved to New Orleans three years ago. She tutored the kids of Johns son and worked at the Rock n'Bowl for one summer. His son runs the College Inn, we ate there last summer, it was excellent. John treats her like royalty so we never miss stopping by for at least one night.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
1st meeting set!!!! Feb 12th... 6-9pm....Buffalo Wild Wings..downstairs Patio...located at 3434 Veterans Blvd in Metairie..on the corner of Veterans and Severn across from Lakeside Shopping Center...

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
SS..June is a long ways away..we can change our June date to accommodate your trip....I will mark the calendar that June's meeting will be the 3rd Wednesday that month...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is super considerate! But, lets hold on moving the date on my account. I'm answering to two women on this trip - my wife and daughter, whose wedding is on Saturday. But, we gotta eat somewhere Wednesday evening, so it would be neat to meet you guys. We're renting a house in Metarie for the week. If that meeting date doesn't work, we're in town on Sunday and Tuesday, perhaps an informal meet may work there too. I sure appreciate the consideration!
It's 25 degrees here today in Maryland. I can't wait to get into some of that warm New Orleans weather, it's perfect for pipe smoking outdoors, sans Hurricanes...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was dissapointed with the rock-n-bowl menu on their website - where's the cajun and creole food?
Wait, they had food? I was on a liquid diet.... We ate earlier at the College Inn across the parking lot!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
If you want a fantastic New Orleans style meal, the next time, drive a few blocks down to Oak Street and Jacques Imo's:

http://jacques-imos.com/

(the Oak Street Cafe nearby, is also fantastic for breakfast)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I agree...Jacques-imos is the best for authentic New Orleans food
We took my wife there for her 50th birthday, along with one of my daughters friends, and a family we know, for a total of nine diners. I said the bill was on me, but the other dad (New Orleans attorney) said we would split the bill. We had almost every appetizer, several bottles of wine and dessert. The bill was over $1200. I said a silent "whew"....

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Haha big "whew" on that one...my wife and I go a few times a year...the worse part is the long wait for a table...we have waited 45 minutes on two separate occasions...but it's well worth the wait

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
This months meeting is being cancelled due to weather.....send me your email and I will contact everyone as soon as I can reschedule....thanks Toby
Tobyducote@yahoo.com

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
This is absolutely the worst Winter I can remember! :evil:
More rain and cold for tonight as the temps drop to near 38. I've had enough of it! Bring on the fishing weather; higher temps and calm seas. :D

brandon

Lurker
Feb 11, 2014
Brand new to the site and to smoking tobacco pipes. I doubt I can make the meetup tomorrow, but look forward to meeting you guys and getting my feet wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.