PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

russel730

Lurker
Mar 22, 2020
My newest pipe was delivered yesterday. Unsmoked Il Ceppo which appears to be pre-1995 according to the markings. It ticked a lot of boxes on my latest search requirements:
- Italian
- Rusticated
- interesting shape

I am in love with the design sense that is evident in the Pesaro school pipemakers. They were in the perfect location and time period to be exposed to the height of the Memphis design movement. While I don't necessarily enjoy the Memphis style of furniture it undoubtedly shaped the culture of the period and was a significant precursor to the design language we exhibit today.

To me, this pipe's aesthetics present an excellent snapshot of that particular design period. It's a brash and modern take on a classic calabash and uses a design elements creatively. The color combination seems fairly unique and is what I find particularly attractive. The Italian flare in the smooth curve of the bend is perfectly inline with it's scale and proportions. It's a little more squat in person compared to what I was expecting but I really enjoy the surprise.

I know it's not a See Jacopo but I like the fact Il Ceppo's are a bit more scarce. I can't imagine there are may early Il Ceppo's floating around these days. Oh, and I almost forgot the most important part, it smokes beautifully and has a perfect draw!IMG_20200510_125752.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
What's the accent ring on the cap made of? I actually prefer Il Ceppo's designs to Ser Jacopo, very lovely calabash.?

russel730

Lurker
Mar 22, 2020
I don't have a scale but it isn't any heavier than my Peterson Dublin #69. The bend of the stem is the perfect length and angle to rest on the chin though. Very comfortable.

The outer ring looks like it may be olive wood. The white ring is some sort of plastic that holds the outer ring on with tension. The inner ring is the briar of the rest of the pipe and looks like it didn't have any finish applied so it's a nice orange/pink type color. The rustication is a similar color but is also unfinished. I'm curious to see how that will change as it's smoked over time.

It's marked H0137 and from what I have been able to research this may have been the highest grade offered in the pre-1995 early era of Il Ceppo. The quality is certainly indicating this to be the case. I'd love to see Il Ceppo dig into their design archives for more of these early designs. I feel it would be a unique style even in today's world.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

russel730

Lurker
Mar 22, 2020
I did go down a temporary Savinelli rabbit hole for a little bit. Not in my collection yet but it's almost unavoidable, right? I still have two spaces on my rack to fill at some point (well three if you don't count the cob...)

Status
Not open for further replies.