PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Title:
From The Briar Pipe Of Saint-Claude To The Cigarette In The Trenches Of World War One. An Intimate History Of The Tobacco Industry, 1850–1920

From Ben via email:

Seven years after my Civil War pipe book was released, I am now in the final throes of a new one (my 9th and last) about the period of tobacco history from 1850-1920, and the reason for this specific timeframe is that I invest much ink describing the growth of the industry during these 70 years with emphasis on pipe and tobacco production focused on the USA and Great Britain, and what soldiers smoked in World War One, particularly in the trenches. The inspiration for this latter idea came from watching the documentary film, They Shall Not Grow Old, that was released in 2017, a film by the Australian, Peter Jackson. In this film, I witnessed the British Tommies smoking through rotten teeth, and realized that there was a story to be told. Of course, I have included the smoking experiences of the Doughboys, the French Poilus, the German Fritzes, the Anzacs and the Canucks as well. So, it's a blended book encompassing two discrete topics that coalesce in this war. Anyone interested in more information or when it will be available, please contact me. The illustrated manuscript will be at the printer by the end of April. I will be selling it.
With pipe...and a new book, friendly, Ben Rapaport
ben70gray@comcast.net

Note: He is trying to gauge demand to help determine the print run, so please EMAIL BEN.

Last edited:
Spartacus: Thank you for your interest. I am selling it. So that I can keep count, please resend to my email address.
I generally buy pipe related books, and I will probably buy this one as well. I will drop an email to you.

I have one of your books - A Complete Guide to Collecting Antique Pipes. This also raises the question- What are the other seven, which I am not aware of?

Finally, I highly appreciate your contribution to the hobby!

Me!!!
Arnold Horshack GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

ben rapaport

Lurker
Apr 5, 2021
To Sagebrush & Philobeddoe: I do not have your email addresses, so how can I contact you re: shipping address and price?

Ben Rapaport

ben rapaport

Lurker
Apr 5, 2021
To all those who think that they may be interested in purchasing a copy of my new book, be advised that my decision on the quantity to print will be governed solely, wholly on the number of folks committing to a copy. I am not anticipating a huge print run, and I do not plan to print a second batch, because I am quite well aware that this book will not be on the New York Times Best Seller list, and it will not be available for sale anywhere else. After April 30, it'll be too late to order a copy. Just so you know...