PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
I just got this Monarch system pipe from eBay. I always wanted to get one, but never saw any in great condition(except on Reborn Pipes, but he didn't sell that one!). This one appears to have a scratch or crack in the stem, and it's pretty dingy, but since I've started refurbishing pipes, I figured it would be good for practice.

It was originally listed for 19 dollars! And then something happened that I never noticed before: the seller offered it to me at a lower price. So, at 15 dollars, I figured it was a bargain. :ROFLMAO:

I'm not 100% certain what I'll find, as the seller did not remove the stem for photos, but if it's what I think it is, it will be great ~ even if I have to fix a crack!

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Great find! Post some pictures after you refurbish it.
IMO - I would attempt removing the oxidation while restoring the pipe.

Reactions: Donb1972

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
The pipe arrived today, amazingly, and I was happy to discover two things: there is no crack(it's just a scratch), and it IS the exact type I was hoping for! The tank, screw, and exhaust port just as anticipated!

It needs to be reamed, badly. And the briar will need to be cleaned up so I can see how it looks with the patina removed.

But...I'm quite happy with my 15 dollar purchase!
P20430-113815.jpg

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
Okay, I know it doesn't look like I did much...but I decided I liked the dark colour on the carved portion of the bowl, so I just gave it a light cleaning, micromeshed the smooth portions, and did the stem. I see from this photo that I missed a spot of oxidation! I don't know how it slipped past me :ROFLMAO: Anyway, I don't mind a bit of oxidation, as long as I can't smell it.

After reaming out the bowl, I noticed cracks in the lower portion of the bowl. Nothing too bad, but I mixed up a batch of pipe mud to fill them and I'm letting it dry to see if that takes care of it.

The tank, which can't really be photographed on the inside, was clogged with probably decades of gunk. The exhaust port was clogged, the stem was clogged....it was quite a mess.

My main worry is the cracks. It looks like the previous owner smoked much hotter in the bottom third of the bowl, as the pipe walls are actually thinner than the top. So I'm hoping the mud will fix that, too.
P20430-145507.jpg

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Check out this link to a previous post I made on “pipe mortar”. I have used it on refurbishing four different pipes. I particularly like to use it to level out the bottom of cob pipes that often have a void below the draft hole /stummel/ stem. without filling in this void, there is a lot of tobacco that gets wasted as it gets stuffed into these voids and never gets smoked.
Using the fireplace mortar or off the shelf products that have all kinds of nasty ingredients does not appeal to me.

It works very well at filling in small spider cracks in the walls of your refurbished tobacco pipes as well.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
Check out this link to a previous post I made on “pipe mortar”. I have used it on refurbishing four different pipes. I particularly like to use it to level out the bottom of cob pipes that often have a void below the draft hole /stummel/ stem. without filling in this void, there is a lot of tobacco that gets wasted as it gets stuffed into these voids and never gets smoked.
Using the fireplace mortar or off the shelf products that have all kinds of nasty ingredients does not appeal to me.

It works very well at filling in small spider cracks in the walls of your refurbished tobacco pipes as well.

That looks like a great material to use. I'll have to get some P of P, but I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for the link!