PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skink

Can't Leave
Sep 21, 2021
Ronkonkoma, NY
I’ve always found it interesting to see cigar smokers to come in to pipes choosing aromatics. And, most cigar brand pipe tobaccos are aros also. No judgement, just interesting.

By any chance is your forum handle, Skink, from the Carl Hiaasan novels? He was my favorite character.
Actually, the choice of starting with an aromatic was formed by a memory combined with a lack of knowledge in the pipe tobacco arena.
Yes, the Skink handle does come from Hiaasen. If you like his work, I recommend Tim Dorsey and Christopher Moore. Very entertaining authors in the next level of Hiaasen style writing.

Actually, the choice of starting with an aromatic was formed by a memory combined with a lack of knowledge in the pipe tobacco arena.
Yes, the Skink handle does come from Hiaasen. If you like his work, I recommend Tim Dorsey and Christopher Moore. Very entertaining authors in the next level of Hiaasen style writing.
I have absorbed all of those authors. Well, it’s great to have a legendary swamp dwelling, huge ex governor, yellow raincoat wearing member with a shower cap and a fake owl eye on board, with great tastes in books. Just don’t piss in the ashtrays! puffy

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
Born and raised in Northport, moved off the Island for a few years, returned and have been living in the Blue Point-Bayport area for the past 16 years.
Very nice I was born in Bayshore lived in West Islip as a kid then moved away for a while, but moved back after my grandmother passed away and I moved in with my grandfather in Huntington for a year before he passed away then I joined the Army and have only been back to visitor a few times.

Reactions: ravkesef

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Happy Fall Y’All from Long Island! I started smoking pipes about a year and a half ago coming over from cigars for 25 years. When Covid first hit, I opted to stay home as the pandemic grew. I knew I’d be smoking more then my 2 weekly cigars while around the house, so I looked into less costly options. I ordered a “Starter Pipe Kit” online and picked up a pouch of Captain Black from the local B&M (being that’s what my Grandfather smoked). When the pipe arrived, I packed it and headed out on the deck expecting a nice relaxing hour. Well that relaxing hour slowly turned into a stressful, anxiety filled 2+ hours of not getting the hang of it. Couldn’t keep it lit, was hurting my jaw from over-clenching and burning my finger from the lighter. “This is relaxing? I’m definitely doing something wrong.” The next morning while having my coffee, I did a search on “How to smoke a pipe”, I’ve been Ghosting you guy’s ever since. Thanks for all of the advice! Now I can twist & stuff a flake and enjoy it with minimal relights. For some reason, it never even dawned on me to join the forum until the other day.

Since it was a suggested introduction topic, I’ve been gravitating towards the Virginia and Vaper flakes in either a Poker or a Dublin.

Thanks for having me.

Welcome, also from Long Island. I’m in Sag Harbor. If you are interested, the Long Island Pipe Club is very active and always welcoming new members. Our website is here:

www.longislandpipeclub.com

Or just PM me if you’d like more info.

Ted

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
Happy Fall Y’All from Long Island! I started smoking pipes about a year and a half ago coming over from cigars for 25 years. When Covid first hit, I opted to stay home as the pandemic grew. I knew I’d be smoking more then my 2 weekly cigars while around the house, so I looked into less costly options. I ordered a “Starter Pipe Kit” online and picked up a pouch of Captain Black from the local B&M (being that’s what my Grandfather smoked). When the pipe arrived, I packed it and headed out on the deck expecting a nice relaxing hour. Well that relaxing hour slowly turned into a stressful, anxiety filled 2+ hours of not getting the hang of it. Couldn’t keep it lit, was hurting my jaw from over-clenching and burning my finger from the lighter. “This is relaxing? I’m definitely doing something wrong.” The next morning while having my coffee, I did a search on “How to smoke a pipe”, I’ve been Ghosting you guy’s ever since. Thanks for all of the advice! Now I can twist & stuff a flake and enjoy it with minimal relights. For some reason, it never even dawned on me to join the forum until the other day.

Since it was a suggested introduction topic, I’ve been gravitating towards the Virginia and Vaper flakes in either a Poker or a Dublin.

Thanks for having me.
Welcome from Alabama God Bless

JSPiper71

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada

Thanks for having me.
Your story is very similar to mine in all aspects. On top of how amazing the shift from cigars to pipe smoking is, you will find this forum (and the pipe smoking community at large) to be a very generous, humble, knowledgeable group of fellas (a few ladies too). It's truly one of the most surprising aspects I've found in this journey.

Welcome from Toronto!

Irish Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2022
Munich, Germany

Thanks for having me.
Sounds like my first time when I was seventeen. 33 years later and I'm giving it another go. ?

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Hi Skink, I lived in Great Neck for a while, but I returned to New England (Connecticut) 30 years ago, closer to where I grew up in New Hampshire. I sort of cringe whenever we cross the state line into New York. Guess I’m a Connecticut Yankee at heart. At any rate, welcome to the forum where 10,000 of your best friends are waiting to clap you on the back, share pipe smoking advice with you and just generally be there.

• Love
Reactions: edger

Skink

Can't Leave
Sep 21, 2021
Ronkonkoma, NY
Hi skink, and welcome from northern Colorado.
Hey MtnGeo.
I've been doing some residential construction work over in Hudson, CO (staying in Brighton) for the past 3 weeks on a friend's house. Is there a decent B&M up by you? I stopped in the chain store that's in Longmont last weekend, not a massive selection, but a lot more than most other stores.

MtnGeo

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 29, 2021
Loveland, CO
Hey MtnGeo.
I've been doing some residential construction work over in Hudson, CO (staying in Brighton) for the past 3 weeks on a friend's house. Is there a decent B&M up by you? I stopped in the chain store that's in Longmont last weekend, not a massive selection, but a lot more than most other stores.
In Fort Collins, Edwards Pipe & Cigars 111 W Prospect Rd. Unit D They have another store in Englewood and get good reviews. edwardsfsc.com

Bwana Kiko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2021
Uganda
Welcome from Uganda. I once visited Long Island where I sailed with an old man named Tom Beurmann who smoked pipes and yelled at motorboats. Good times.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.