PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Happy Fall Y’All from Long Island! I started smoking pipes about a year and a half ago coming over from cigars for 25 years. When Covid first hit, I opted to stay home as the pandemic grew. I knew I’d be smoking more then my 2 weekly cigars while around the house, so I looked into less costly options. I ordered a “Starter Pipe Kit” online and picked up a pouch of Captain Black from the local B&M (being that’s what my Grandfather smoked). When the pipe arrived, I packed it and headed out on the deck expecting a nice relaxing hour. Well that relaxing hour slowly turned into a stressful, anxiety filled 2+ hours of not getting the hang of it. Couldn’t keep it lit, was hurting my jaw from over-clenching and burning my finger from the lighter. “This is relaxing? I’m definitely doing something wrong.” The next morning while having my coffee, I did a search on “How to smoke a pipe”, I’ve been Ghosting you guy’s ever since. Thanks for all of the advice! Now I can twist & stuff a flake and enjoy it with minimal relights. For some reason, it never even dawned on me to join the forum until the other day.

Since it was a suggested introduction topic, I’ve been gravitating towards the Virginia and Vaper flakes in either a Poker or a Dublin.

Thanks for having me.
that's a common story. From other smoking to pipes. And hey I don't know what I am doing with pipes and I better find out what to do hey this forum has helped a bunch, why haven't I joined yet?

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
Happy Fall Y’All from Long Island! I started smoking pipes about a year and a half ago coming over from cigars for 25 years. When Covid first hit, I opted to stay home as the pandemic grew. I knew I’d be smoking more then my 2 weekly cigars while around the house, so I looked into less costly options. I ordered a “Starter Pipe Kit” online and picked up a pouch of Captain Black from the local B&M (being that’s what my Grandfather smoked). When the pipe arrived, I packed it and headed out on the deck expecting a nice relaxing hour. Well that relaxing hour slowly turned into a stressful, anxiety filled 2+ hours of not getting the hang of it. Couldn’t keep it lit, was hurting my jaw from over-clenching and burning my finger from the lighter. “This is relaxing? I’m definitely doing something wrong.” The next morning while having my coffee, I did a search on “How to smoke a pipe”, I’ve been Ghosting you guy’s ever since. Thanks for all of the advice! Now I can twist & stuff a flake and enjoy it with minimal relights. For some reason, it never even dawned on me to join the forum until the other day.

Since it was a suggested introduction topic, I’ve been gravitating towards the Virginia and Vaper flakes in either a Poker or a Dublin.

Thanks for having me.
Welcome from Virginia! Enjoy…

Bax Burley

Can't Leave
Jul 20, 2021
Pennsylvania
Salutations from PA. I re-took up pipe smoking after a 20 year (!!) hiatus close to three years ago, but I definitely started smoking much more during the quarantine days. I also ended up here in many Google searches before joining. Good decision!

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
G'day and welcome from Oz.

Since most of us don't have an experienced pipe smoking mentor, pipe forums have been the next best thing.
Members have been a great help and not a one [openly] laughed at some of my really dumb questions.

Don't be frightened to ask anything.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Sykes Wilford and Steve Fallon would both offer an emphatic "yes!" :ROFLMAO:

Welcome to the forum, from Southern California.
I don't know how I missed this one. But yes, stimulus Checks are specifically for pipes and tobaccos. And in case you missed all the information about stimulus checks, they must be given to another pipe smoker if you don't use yours within 10-days of receipt. And you are in luck! I can't speak for Sykes, but pipestud.com does accept stimulus money with no questions asked.

Steve

Thanks for having me.
I’ve always found it interesting to see cigar smokers to come in to pipes choosing aromatics. And, most cigar brand pipe tobaccos are aros also. No judgement, just interesting.

By any chance is your forum handle, Skink, from the Carl Hiaasan novels? He was my favorite character.

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army

Thanks for having me.
What part of Long Island? I was born and raised their. I’m glad that after all that stress and trouble you stuck with it and are now enjoying the great hobby.

Reactions: kcghost
Status
Not open for further replies.