PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Hello mau1, and thank you for the compliment. Andrew Kovacs was good friends with my pipe making mentor, Horace DeJarnet. I never had the pleasure of knowing him personally. I was aware that he moved away, but I never heard anything more about him after that.
Hi Wade, thanks for that interesting information. I will keep looking for his pipes. BTW, I recently saw one of your mentor's pipes sell; it was a nice pipe!

Reactions: Wade H

Wade H

Lurker
Jan 13, 2020
Glendale Arizona
Hi Wade, thanks for that interesting information. I will keep looking for his pipes. BTW, I recently saw one of your mentor's pipes sell; it was a nice pipe!
HI mau1, Horace talked about Andrew Kovacs a lot. Andrew was one of Horace's mentors, when he was starting out making pipes. Horace showed me how to make a jig for drilling the holes in a block of briar, that Andrew showed him how to make. That was always the first step, if you blew drilling the holes, the piece was firewood (ruined). So it was critical to them drill first, before any time consuming work was done on the block. I copied and pasted "how I met Horace DeJarnet", from my member profile:

"I met Horace DeJarnet, after buying one of his pipes, in about 2002. There was a business card in the velvet pouch, with his phone number on it, so I called him. I told him that I would gladly pay to watch him make a pipe. He asked if I was free the next Saturday, I was, and he gave me his address and told me to show up with $40. I was like "doh, he's really going to make me pay to watch". Well I showed up on Saturday, and Horace met me at the door, and said "come on, we're going shopping"! He took me to the Pipe Makers Emporium, in Deer Valley AZ, owned by pipe maker Paul Hildebrand. I bought my first block of premium Spanish briar, and an acrylic stem. We went back to Horace's house and, under his close tutelage, I made my first pipe! I cleaned his shop up Army clean, and offered to start coming back and exchanging cleaning up the shop, for pipe making lessons. Horace was missing his right leg above the knee, and I though he could use the help. He accepted, but for more than anything, to pass on his knowledge of a dying trade".

Reactions: mau1

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Hi Wade,
That's a great story and thanks for sharing it. It just reminds me that our pipe world is a small world. Those of us who read your post will remember it whenever we run across an Jandew pipe or a Dejarnett pipe!
Pretty cool that you contacted Horace and followed through on see him rather than just thinking about it. Horace may be gone but his memory lives on, and his pipes.

Reactions: Wade H

Wade H

Lurker
Jan 13, 2020
Glendale Arizona
Hi Wade,
That's a great story and thanks for sharing it. It just reminds me that our pipe world is a small world. Those of us who read your post will remember it whenever we run across an Jandew pipe or a Dejarnett pipe!
Pretty cool that you contacted Horace and followed through on see him rather than just thinking about it. Horace may be gone but his memory lives on, and his pipes.
mau1, it is indeed a small world. It turned out, that Horace lived only 20 minutes away from my house, in the Arrowhead Lake community. It made it very easy to dash over there when I could. I dearly loved Horace. He was a kind gentleman, with a keen wit. He gifted me several of his pipes, and I think of him whenever I smoke one. He is sorely missed by myself and the whole pipe making community, especially us Arizona Pipe making guys.

Reactions: mau1

Wade H

Lurker
Jan 13, 2020
Glendale Arizona
Hi Wade,
Hi Wade,
mau1, here's a churchwarden pipe, that was the last pipe I made at Horace's house. It's a large for a churchwarden , and I used a stem that Erik Nording gave it to me about 15 years ago when I he visited our pipe club to speak. I bought that beautiful sitter (in the middle of the group photo) from him (that he made himself), and he gave me a long and a short stem for it. He had an extra long stem, and he gave it to me to make a pipe with, and show it to him the next time he visited. The pipes in the group photo (left to right) are :my Wade Hampton big fat churchwarden, my Wade Hampton little churchwarden, my Handmade by Erik Nording churchwarden sitters, my Savinelli churchwarden, my Butz Choquin Calabash churchwarden. I'm rather fond of long stem pipes, they put the bowl down low, resting on my chest, and don't get in the way of reading etc. Man..... I really do miss ole Horace.

Attachments

• 0118201634.jpg
    0118201634.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 0118201704.jpg
    0118201704.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: adui
Status
Not open for further replies.