PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Hi, I am Mathias from Sweden!

I smoked a pipe in my twenties but I was fit and active and wanted to be healthy so I quit.

Now I am in my fifties. My health has gone to sh*t anyway so I thought I would take up pipe smoking again as it is one of the pleasures that I can still do.

I am currently trying to find my style, both in pipes and tobaccos, and have bought and traded a few different pipes.

So far I have found that nothing really looks good on me and I do not smoke while doing other things, only when I sit down in a calm place, so I want something that is comfortable in my hand and in my mouth as well as appealing to me at the same time.

Watching mutton chop pipers videos about which type of smoker I am I think I am interested in the craftsmanship behind both pipes and tobaccos. Not a collector but will probably end up with a collection any way, if you know what I mean?

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Welcome from Arizona! Good luck on your journey. It takes time. I'm not the same smoker I was when I started in regards to pipes and tobacco choices.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina, US. I'd start with a medium size briar, standard brand, at whatever price seems comfortable and appropriate. Sample in small quantities for a year or two, different genres ... English, Balkan, Virginias, Virginia/Perique, burley, non-aromatics and aromatics. Welcome.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome from Florida. I would recommend trying Castello for a pipe. They are well made and smoke very nicely. For tobacco I would recommend the following.
Samuel Gawith Best Brown, Full Virginia and St James flakes or plugs.

Peter Heinrich Curly Block

Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs

Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

Capstan Blue Flake

Mac Baren Old Dark Fired

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Welcome, Mathias! I feel the same way in terms of how I look with a pipe. Some folks look great with a pipe. I do not think it makes me look cool in any way. LOL.
I like watching Muttonchop Piper sometimes too. He is calming. And he is so sincere, it is hard not to like him.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Welcome from Knik River, Alaska!
I'd recommend Savinelli pipes if you are still trying to find out which shapes work best for you. They are reasonably affordable, and IMO the best value in pipes of that price range. Once you've found your shapes you could invest in higher end stuff like Castello, etc. if you so desire.
As mso said, sample the field tobacco-wise until you know what you like. English/Balkan, Virginia, Virginia-Perique, Burleys, Aromatics, etc. I would give recommendations for each but I don't know what is available to you in Sweden or what your online ordering capabilities are.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Be Welcome Sir and best greets from neighboring Finland

Ps,If You can find locally an Estate Ratos or Lillehammer in good condition, I'm pretty sure I'd be pretty pleased.

As for the tobaccies easily available in both our countries,I'd probably get a pouch of Mc Baren Golden Blend and Old standard The Greve Gilbert Hamiltons blending though this latter one may require some adjustments and slow smoking/tighter packing since it is a fine ribbon cut and quite potent in nicotine.

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Thanks for the welcome and for all the suggestions!

A Finn named Paul? :wink:

I have already acquired a few pipes to try out and also got a few tins of Petersson aromatics from a fellow that decided he liked heavier stuff. Another gentleman sent me small portions of different blends to try.

I have a bit of trouble though. Firstly they do not taste the way they smell. Secondly, I read people getting flavours of vanilla, dark chocolate with some fruitiness and a hint of...

On a good day I may be able to tell a difference between the tins of aromatics!

I drink my whiskey neat, my coffee black and I enjoy spicy food so maybe I just don't have a palate for it?

I find though that I liked "Vintage Syrian" and "Reiner blend 71" better than the aromatics and the Reiner "long golden flake" burned very nicely. I will have to start making notes about my preference and see what turns out.
EDIT: The other blends I received portions of are Dunhill Apéretif, Escudo, Key Largo and Bagpipers dream.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I have already acquired a few pipes to try out and also got a few tins of Petersson aromatics from a fellow that decided he liked heavier stuff. Another gentleman sent me small portions of different blends to try.

I have a bit of trouble though. Firstly they do not taste the way they smell. Secondly, I read people getting flavours of vanilla, dark chocolate with some fruitiness and a hint of...

On a good day I may be able to tell a difference between the tins of aromatics!

I drink my whiskey neat, my coffee black and I enjoy spicy food so maybe I just don't have a palate for it?

I find though that I liked "Vintage Syrian" and "Reiner blend 71" better than the aromatics and the Reiner "long golden flake" burned very nicely. I will have to start making notes about my preference and see what turns out.
EDIT: The other blends I received portions of are Dunhill Apéretif, Escudo, Key Largo and Bagpipers dream.
You may just not have a taste for the aromatics. I haven't found one that works well for me either, though I still hold out hope.
You have some very nice tobaccos from a range of genres to sample from. Sounds like you have already one Latakia/English blend you like and one VA flake. That's a great start!

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
If You can find locally an Estate Ratos or Lillehammer in good condition, I'm pretty sure I'd be pretty pleased.

Paul, do you mean that I should get one or are you looking for one?

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Välkommen from neighbouring Denmark.
If you like 'heavier stuff', I would also recommend trying Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired, which should be easy to find in Sweden. I really enjoyed that (and still do) as one of the first stronger blends I tried.

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Thank you jfred!

I will check that out. The problem with all the suggestions we get

is that they may not be available in country and many net.retailers don't ship abroad.

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Thank you!

There is a nice Lillehammer for sale for a good price

so I thought you may have meant that you were looking for one.

Lillehammer

I have already bought my "training pipes" so I will pass on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.