PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toosharp

Lurker
Sep 10, 2013
First off, a hi from Scotland.

I stay in Ayrshire in the South West coast of Scotland am 32 years old and pretty new to pipe smoking. I stay in the countryside on an old farm, run a little handyman business, and love the outdoors. And by that I mean anything to do with fishing, shooting, hiking, woodcarving, etc....you get the idea lol.

I make knives, walking sticks, home brew, and anything else I need really. I like relaxing and old time stuff so pipe smoking seemed to come naturally to me. Smoked cigarettes for years, then to roll ups due to the preference for the taste of decent tobacco and have now progressed to pipes. I'm loving it, got a few basket pipes and a corn cob, but just ordered a Mr Brog Amigo #51 which im looking forward to. Loving some of the aromatics like sweet peach, cherry vanilla etc but really do like my tin of Dunhill early morning pipe. Something about it just clicks if you know what I mean. I also have started to play about with making my own pipes too.

Sorry for the long rant. Hope everyone is well, take care, Davie

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome aboard Davie!

Just dive right in.

We're looking forward to your comments, questions, and photos of those "outdoor activities".

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Welcome Davie! My Father was from Belfast and my Mother from Glasgow so your in good company. Feel free to ask questions these are a great wee bunch of guys!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums. We're happy to have another representative from the land that has contributed so much to the pleasures of the pipe.

:clap: I'm off now to have a bowl of Mac Baren Mixture Scottish Blend in honor of the occasion. And maybe a wee bit of whiskey. :wink:

toosharp

Lurker
Sep 10, 2013
Cheers guys :) Placed an order online last night with a uk retailer called mysmokingshop that seems to get good reviews. Ordered a fair selection, a tin of Sam Gawith Squadron Leader, some banana shag, blueberry black cavendish, Sam Gawith coniston cut plug, an own brand mixed fruit blend, erinmore flake and a couple others...will let you know how I get on with them either by review on here or link to a youtube channel I am thinking of starting as there is no Scots doing reviews on baccy! Ordered some snuff too so I can have a wee play :)

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Welcome. You are indeed fortunate with easy access to the best tobacco ever conceived, Condor!

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Welcome Davie,hope you enjoy it here
If you wave hard enough I might just see you - I am just across the water on the Antrim Coast :) Flakyjakey on the forum lives in Edinburgh and has posted some good reviews of flake and plug tobaccos.
Can I make a suggestion? If you were used to smoking cigarettes, I think your palate will steer towards straight virginia tobaccos as this is the constituent tobacco in UK cigarettes. There are some stunning straight virginia tobaccos available.
Had a question for you. As a handyman, do you do any metal turning?

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@toosharp, Davie a warm welcome from me! I have lived in 'Auld Reekie' for most of my life. I am relatively new to the forum, and although I am by no means new to pipe smoking, I have already learned a lot from some of the more experienced pipers here. Don't be concerned about 'long rants' - there are many examples here, not least some of my rambling OPs !! LOL
'Lang may your lum reek', young Davie !!

Status
Not open for further replies.