PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jp267nh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2019
Connecticut
Hello everyone,

Glad to be here. Looks like a wealth of information. I recently found my father's pipe collection, going through some boxes at my parents house, while visiting at Thanksgiving. He passed on in 2005 and they haven't been smoked since. I've never smoked a pipe, but have fond memories of fly fishing with my father, while he smoked some of the most wonderful smelling tobacco you could imagine. Irwan Ries on Wabash was always a scheduled stop with him when we were visiting Chicago.

Now I'm older, enjoy fly fishing myself, and hope to smoke some of his pipes while on the stream. Lot's to learn about cleaning them up, brands, tobbaco, etc. He had several with a script that says Baer Bowl, some that say Jobey France and a few Stanwell made in Denmark. All are caked with tobacco in the bowl and the stems are very much chewed on.

I won't make this any longer, but thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge and wisdom with us new guys! I can't wait to start learning and smoking an occasional pipe. Cheers and happy holidays!

Joe

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Welcome to the forum. Pipes are pretty easy to clean up if you do the research, and your dad left you some decent ones, particularly the Stanwells. Sounds like he was an aromatic smoker. You can use the forum search to find old threads on good aromatic options if you want to find some good blends for the river.

Welcome to the forum from a fellow fly fisherman from Knik River, Alaska!

jp267nh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2019
Connecticut
Welcome to the forum. Pipes are pretty easy to clean up if you do the research, and your dad left you some decent ones, particularly the Stanwells. Sounds like he was an aromatic smoker. You can use the forum search to find old threads on good aromatic options if you want to find some good blends for the river.

Welcome to the forum from a fellow fly fisherman from Knik River, Alaska!

View attachment 11390
Thanks! Now that's a fish! Nice haul! What weight rods do you use up there? I haven't tried my hand at sea run trout yet,but hope to in the future.

Yes I know he smoked Ries Blue 3 Star and some Oriental tobaccos. I found a few packages of very dried out tobacco! Lol Anyway thank you again!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Thanks! Now that's a fish! Nice haul! What weight rods do you use up there? I haven't tried my hand at sea run trout yet,but hope to in the future.

Yes I know he smoked Ries Blue 3 Star and some Oriental tobaccos. I found a few packages of very dried out tobacco! Lol Anyway thank you again!

Thats a native rainbow trout in the Kenai. We do have some good Steelhead runs as well though, particularly on the Situk River near Yakutat. I’ll be headed there for my annual visit come April :) There are sea run cutthroat there as well.

As far as weight, if I’m on the Kenai I usually use an 8 weight (G Loomis Pro 4x with Lamson Speedster reel) because trout there can push 30 inches. Further north I usually use a 5 weight as they are typically 24 and under.

The one pictured is actually an April fish caught on a prince nymph. September bead fishing is really where its at. With huge runs of all 5 salmon species spawning, you can have 50+ fish days (all rainbows and dollies with the occasional accidental silver or king salmon) on that river with nothing but beads and flesh.

Have a King grab that bead and you’ll be glad you brought the 8 weight hahahaha.

Reactions: jp267nh

jp267nh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2019
Connecticut
Thats a native rainbow trout in the Kenai. We do have some good Steelhead runs as well though, particularly on the Situk River near Yakutat. I’ll be headed there for my annual visit come April :) There are sea run cutthroat there as well.

As far as weight, if I’m on the Kenai I usually use an 8 weight (G Loomis Pro 4x with Lamson Speedster reel) because trout there can push 30 inches. Further north I usually use a 5 weight as they are typically 24 and under.

The one pictured is actually an April fish caught on a prince nymph. September bead fishing is really where its at. With huge runs of all 5 salmon species spawning, you can have 50+ fish days on that river with nothing but beads and flesh.
Wow sounds incredible. I fish mostly my grandfather's split cane rods here in CT. I can mostly get away with a 9ft 5wt Heddon or a 7ft 4wt Goodwin Granger Aristocrat. There's some good size streams but many with brush and overhead obstacles. We have some very active TU groups here which is nice. My favorite place to fish is in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Good fishing and great scenery!

One of these days I'll finally make it to Alaska. My grandfather was stationed there during WW2 and helped construct the Alaska Highway. He always mentioned how beautiful it was. And just before he passed on our family bought him and my Grandmother an Alaskan cruise. He was over the moon to see it again!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Wow sounds incredible. I fish mostly my grandfather's split cane rods here in CT. I can mostly get away with a 9ft 5wt Heddon or a 7ft 4wt Goodwin Granger Aristocrat. There's some good size streams but many with brush and overhead obstacles. We have some very active TU groups here which is nice. My favorite place to fish is in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Good fishing and great scenery!

One of these days I'll finally make it to Alaska. My grandfather was stationed there during WW2 and helped construct the Alaska Highway. He always mentioned how beautiful it was. And just before he passed on our family bought him and my Grandmother an Alaskan cruise. He was over the moon to see it again!

Holy shit split cane’s! Thats wild. Some pricey rods! Sounds awesome. A longtime member here (fishnbanjo) who unfortunately recently passed away was a huge bamboo rod enthusiast. Always made me salivate over his collection (both rods and pipes). Brush is almost unavoidable here, which means you have to perfect two things: A roll cast, and bear protection, hahaha.

Pretty cool your gramps was here during the war. A lot of people don’t realize that part of WWII was actually fought on Alaskan soil. The highway construction was a huge part of it. Lots of cool old military installations around the state.

Reactions: jp267nh

jp267nh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2019
Connecticut
Holy shit split cane’s! Thats wild. Some pricey rods! Sounds awesome. A longtime member here (fishnbanjo) who unfortunately recently passed away was a huge bamboo rod enthusiast. Always made me salivate over his collection (both rods and pipes). Brush is almost unavoidable here, which means you have to perfect two things: A roll cast, and bear protection, hahaha.

Pretty cool your gramps was here during the war. A lot of people don’t realize that part of WWII was actually fought on Alaskan soil. The highway construction was a huge part of it. Lots of cool old military installations around the state.
I haven't quite mastered my roll casting yet, but getting there. Fortunately, I haven't run into a bear yet, but have crossed path with a few moose in NH and ME!

Getting late here so I'm going to turn it in, but great chatting with you!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I haven't quite mastered my roll casting yet, but getting there. Fortunately, I haven't run into a bear yet, but have crossed path with a few moose in NH and ME!

Getting late here so I'm going to turn it in, but great chatting with you!

Crossed paths with a few moose myself :) Probably my favorite game meat, outside of maybe Dall sheep. Have a good one, and welcome again! Let us know when you fire up a bowl!

Attachments

• F77CD845-1420-459F-A75B-67B5F0838EAC.jpeg
    F77CD845-1420-459F-A75B-67B5F0838EAC.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
OMG that's huge!!  Definitely big game country up there! Will do. Thank you again for the warm welcome!!
No prob. Also, pipe smoking takes a few tries to “figure out” so if you have trouble keeping it lit, get tongue bite, it tastes weird, or whatever, thats normal. There are lots of good resources here and elsewhere we can help you with. Once you “get it” it is truly one of the great relaxing pleasures of this world. So if it seems like it ain’t working, come back and ask for help!

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.