PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebnash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
Los Gatos, CA
Hello all,

I've been pipe smoking for a couple years now, but not an everyday for me. Maybe only a couple times month mixed with cigars. I'm primarily over at Puff, but find myself coming here to pipes magazine quite frequently when seraching for information on pipes or tobacco. Thought it was time to officially join and introduce myself. I know there are quite a few crossover members from Puff.
I primarily smoke Burley Flake and OTC's, as well as a few Straight Virginia Flakes. I've found that I'm not compatible with Latakia. This is not a surprise to me as I do not enjoy smoked meats or sharp smoky smells, at all. I've found that the only tobacco that I enjoy with Lat. is EGR, but I think it's barely present there.
Thanks for having me

Erik

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Welcome to the forums. I am a cigar guy as well. Started smoking pipes to save some time and money. The rest is history :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the site. Here a few blends that are readily available, that you might want to try.

Capstan Blue or Gold Flakes

Mac Baren Old Dark Fired

Escudo

Savinelli Doblone d'Oro

ebnash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
Los Gatos, CA
Fantastic Harris, thanks for the suggestions. I have not tried any of those you listed. Below is what Im keeping in my cellar right now. I just paired down and pulled 16 jars to gift to others since I don't smoke them anymore....
Solani Aged Burley Flake

HH Burley Flake

Sir Walter Raleigh Orignal

Carter Hall - I wil lnot replace when I finish the pouch.

Dunhill Flake

Edward G Robinson

Ratrays Marlin Flake

Mission Pipe Tioga - Local B&M Virginia Pressed Flake

Hiland's Pete's Moss (An aromatic that I no longer smoke, but I love the way it smells in the jar)
Currently on order to try:

Orlik Golden Sliced

GL Pease Union Square

5 Brothers Burley

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cornell & Diehl do beautiful things with burley in a wide range of blends. Explore their offerings at online retailers (Forums sponsors!). The Bay Area is so nice; I admire those who can figure out how to afford it. I've visited there four or five times, first off a minesweeper (MSO 489) as a ship for public tours on Armed Forces Day in about 1970.

ebnash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
Los Gatos, CA
I admire those who can figure out how to afford it. I've visited there four or five times, first off a minesweeper (MSO 489) as a ship for public tours on Armed Forces Day in about 1970.
Well, there is someting to be said for being born here, so you're forced to figure it out or leave. Both my wife and I grew up here and decided long ago that we wanted to stay for as long as possible. We know that if we ever move away, we'll likely not be able to afford to return unless we can figure out how to keep the house.
I live in the Santa Cruz Mountains 10 on the valley side at around 1000ft in the redwoods. It is so peaceful to escape the city every night and be in the mountains. It's also a bit more affordable to buy a home where we are, but still only 10 min down the mountain to the south edge of the Silicon Valley.

ebnash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
Los Gatos, CA
Central Coast here, formerly SF, Sausalito, and Piedmont. You?
Welcome!
I live in Los Gatos, just above Lexington Reservoir off Hwy 17 which is the corridor to beach (Santa Cruz) About 15-20min to the beach.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Nice area. When I lived in Campbell I fished Lexington a lot. We almost bought a house on the other side of Highway 17. It was not meant to be and we ended up in the burbs in south San Jose. I also grew up in the area.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Welcome on board and please do visit Telfords' pipe shop in Mill Valley, Marin Co. It is filled with classic pipes and tobaccos, and parts of it are like a museum of pipe smoking.
The Golden Gate Pipe Club meets there as well.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Telford's is great, but there are closer pipe shops, good ones. Piedmont Tobacconist in Oakland, Carmel Pipe shop, Humidor in Monterey— but now I am wondering, is there not a good pipe shop in San Jose?

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Smokers paradise in San Jose is no longer unfortunately. There is Mission pipes close to downtown but it’s more of a cigar place. There is Edwards in Los Altos. I believe that Edwards was owned by the same person who owned smokers paradise?

Status
Not open for further replies.