PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Russ you are answering all my tobacco prayers. Recreating (or even surpassing) Sobranie White, your work on the Cottons and Bengal Slices, now Presbyterian.....if you come out with a McConnell Oriental match or recreate the Dobie's Four Square mixtures, I'll know you are supernatural.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Ordered 8oz, arrived today, and it is EXCELLENT. Smoked it throughout the day, very well done Russ. In fact, since I'm just about to load another pipe......

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Here is my review of the original Presbyterian Mixture as posted in 2011 on tobaccoreviews.com:
"To paraphrase "The Most Interesting Man in the World" who appears occasionally in television commercials for a certain brand of beer, "I don't often smoke English blends, but when I do I prefer Presbyterian Mixture!" To me, it epitomizes the phrase "classic English pipe-tobacco."
"The aroma in the tin is delicious: wet leathery, smokey, late fall-woods musty sweet, and cow-barn-like ripe. It's one that, if it could be transubstantiated, I would happily chew on for hours in the same manner that my dog worries her favorite marrow bone.
"Presbyterian Mixture's appearance is pleasing, too. Remove the cardboard cover beneath the lid, peel back the clear plastic inner wrap, and you will find substantial strands together with ponderous pieces of light-to-dark brown Virginia leaf, intermixed with Latakia tips that are almost black. It's typically moist, not overly so, but does benefit from some drying prior to use. This is a hefty-looking amalgam that promises solid smoking pleasure.
"It does not disappoint. Using the Frank method to fill the bowl of a favorite Savinelli Oscar, it provides me with a good hour of English ecstasy. I find that this tobacco is at its best when smoked SLOWLY, but then aren't they all? I don't mean that you should sip it. Rather, take a deep draught every minute or two and let it drizzle out of your mouth. Take your time as you contemplate its manifold charms and it will reward you. Become distracted (or simply give in to gluttony) and puff too fast, and it will both bite and kick. Nicotine is here in abundance, but will behave if you treat this mixture with gentleness and respect.
"Without drying I typically need only two pipe-cleaners per bowl; with drying only one. This tobacco reduces to a fine grey-white ash with little dottle. The room note is comforting in the same manor (pun intended) as that of an old, familiar, and favorite hunting lodge, cabin, or library.
"This is a fine English tobacco mixture, and I give it my highest benediction. Amen."
If the Pipes and Cigars match version is anywhere close to what I experienced above, then it should be a true bell-ringer.

My hand has been hovering over the trigger for this, but what is holding me back is the Virginias. Presbyterian is a Virginia forward oriental blend, and the original had a Virginia that was very harsh on my tongue, but otherwise delicious. I'm curious about this new one, but I'd love to hear how the virginias play out with this one. Sweet, haylike, rough, yellow, red. It has potential to be better than or worse. So many of the match blends (not neccesarily just H&H) tend to use a blending Virginia that has a casing that reminds me of a Lane Virginia.
Teetering... Teetering... I may just have to pull the trigger anyways. I hate buying under a pound of a bulk. Teetering... It's like a waste of shipping money and time waiting for such a small amount. Teetering.. Teetering... Ahh crap... Here it goes... Pow! Let the cards fall where they may. :puffy:

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I have a certitude that you will not be disappointed. I agree with the above post extolling its goodness.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I tend toward fuller strength blends, but I still find I like a mild smoke now and then. Still, this one might be a tad too mild, but I may give it a try. GLP Westminster is decisively mild among English blends, but still has good taste and complexity.

Status
Not open for further replies.