PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The business strategy of all of these new blends with deeming on the horizon is intriguing.
Grab the money while they can. I was lured in by Rustica and Sakura though. Just received my second pound of Sakura.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I just got an email about this new blend. All of these new tobaccos have me feeling like Al Pacino in The Godfather III. “Just when I think I am out, they pull me back in!” I am afraid this might hit my TAD button. The business strategy of all of these new blends with deeming on the horizon is intriguing.

I agree with you on the Godfather quote??. I really am all tapped out at the moment when it comes to buying tobacco, this new blend does sound intriguing though.
I have a couple of tins each of the Virginia & Kentucky double pressed blends in my cellar and hopefully I'll be getting to try them sometime soon. 95% of my cellar is stored at my mum's house and I'm currently waiting on a box with about 40 different blends that will be sent to me as soon as it's safe, my mum & dad are both in lockdown because of the damned coronavirus.
This 'double pressed' technique does sound interesting, from what I read it sort if mellows it out a bit, knocks off the rough edges. Hopefully it won't be too long before I find out for myself ?.

billjohnso20

Lurker
Dec 4, 2019
I am fond of the Double Pressed Kentucky though in my smaller pipes due to the excessive nicotine hit. If it weren't for the amount of nicotine, I would smoke it far more often than I do. But as chasingembers points out, it is rather spendy. $16.00 for a 50 gram tin is high and that is at P&C prices. I've seen it several dollars higher elsewhere online. It's a treat that I rarely buy because I rarely smoke it. Everyone should try it though.

Reactions: dcon

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I just got an email about this new blend. All of these new tobaccos have me feeling like Al Pacino in The Godfather III. “Just when I think I am out, they pull me back in!” I am afraid this might hit my TAD button. The business strategy of all of these new blends with deeming on the horizon is intriguing.
This blend actually came out a year ago.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I have (temporarily?) refrained from buying this. I got another email, God help me, from SP on the new Savinelli Flakes. The Juno seemed a good fit and it coincided with them getting a drop of F and T. I bit on that instead.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I'm not much of a reviewer, but I got my DP burley yesterday. I really, really, like the DP Kentucky. The DP Virginia is good, but overpriced to me. Straight VAs are not really my favorite anyway.

One bowl in, and the DP burley seem a little harsh and on the fresh side to me. I think it will settle out with time. For now, it's below my favorite burley flakes (Wessex, Solani, HH). If you are a burly person, then I'd get some try, but don't break the bank just yet. I'll report back if it changes. The DP Kentucky is awesome to me, and I'm not a huge kentucky guy.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
The double pressed Kentucky is good... never tried the VA yet tho I have a tin.
burley isn’t my thing but I’d bet this ages well.. though doesn’t seem cheap.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
New blends with deeming on the horizon indeed. I'm sure the tobacconists know a lot we don't. Brand building takes time, so I don't think it is just grab the money and run. I don't think the payoff over a year or two would justify it. So it would seem to me that they see a long delay -- legal, bureaucratic, and/or circumstantial -- that will keep things going for a while, maybe a good while. Or a complete reversal on these regs. Some of these outfits are high stakes players, and I doubt they are just playing it by ear or hoping for the best. When all the creatures in the forest fall quiet, it could be a cougar or it could be an earthquake or tornado, but you bet it is something. Likewise when they all keep sounding off, it means something else.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
New blends with deeming on the horizon indeed. I'm sure the tobacconists know a lot we don't. Brand building takes time, so I don't think it is just grab the money and run. I don't think the payoff over a year or two would justify it.
I could be wrong but I don't think brand building when it comes to pipe tobacco is all that expensive and time consuming like it is with other products. Just look at all the "small batch" brands that pop up with a few thousand tins and then are gone. Im sure they're still making profits.

Reactions: Casual
Status
Not open for further replies.