PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recon Paul

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2020
New Jersey, US
Been smoking for a few months now. Experimenting with starter pipes, cobs, and lower cost pipes to get a feel for what I like. So far I like short or at least light weight pipes. Interested in cost effective options for expanding my collection.

Similarly looking to expand my tobacco palette. I learned early on that I do not like cherry and have avoided fruit and heavy flavors. So far I like mild aromatics, often Cavendish blends. (Saw ta post that said to start with English blends. That ship has sailed! ) So far sweet but "earthy" flavors. Vanilla, caramel, maple, cognac, coffee. Everything I have smoked is from Sutliff, because... well because that's what my local shop had. Found online that they have a wide variety at reasonable prices. I've been experimenting with that. Recommendations matching the above flavors or something new. Have my eye on Stanwell Vanilla and two from Cornell & Diehl. Autumn Evening, which I am hoping will taste like Sutliff Maple Cavendish smells, and Black Duck for something non-aromatic.

Hit me with your opinions!

Oh yeah, I also like music, fishing, and thick books about science & history.

Reactions: 02Knight

02Knight

Can't Leave
Aug 24, 2020
Rockett, Texas. South of DFW Metroplex
Welcome from The Great State of TEXAS! I am in the same boat as you, a noob. I was given some brands to try by some of the members here to start out with and I have tried 3. Now the Arango Balkan Supreme tastes like shit to me, Sorry! It has this awful taste to it, seems to get better the more you smoke it, I did one bowl of it. Now the Sutliff Chatham Manor was a nice easy smooth smoke and very enjoyable. Then I tried the Daughters & Ryan Picayune, that is a stronger tobacco but really enjoyable to me, and yes @BROBS I got TWIZTED! I liked the taste and it is a good smoke. Sorry I don't know how to be more eloquent in my descriptions like some I have read.

Reactions: Recon Paul

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome from central N.C. Maybe try some unflavored blends, mild ones to start, just to get the hang of them too. Daughters and Ryan and OHM do some mild ones. I'd buy in small quantities for a year or two so you can sample around, and your tastes will change, so save (jar) the ones you don't immediately like. My wife's extended family has a horse farm and riding school in Jersey. Outside the industrial strip it is beautiful country. We enjoyed the fast-food and convenience store chain, however it is spelled, Wa-Wa. Nice place to breakfast on the fly with highly respectable coffee. We also enjoyed Cape May a lot, though it was a bit flooded at the time.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
First, welcome to the forum!

4dbn2x.jpg

cost effective options for expanding my collection.

Consider estate, or used pipes. They can be found very inexpensively, and the cleanup process can be an education in and of itself. Smoking pipes.com has a great selection, and you can still find good deals on eBay.

thick books about history.

Any period in particular?

Severus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
Greetings from Ontario, Canada and welcome to the forum!

I am new to the hobby as well, haven’t tried yet too many tobacccos, but from what I tried I would recommend MacBaren’s 7 Seas Regular, and if you were to give another chance to cherry flavoured blend I would highly recommend Cult’s Reb Blood Moon, its very nice tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.