PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
No mention of pipes specifically but one could assume they are included. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-04/new-jersey-tries-yet-again-to-ban-most-beach-smoking

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
There is a smoking ban on Siesta Key beach here in Sarasota and they have cops who ride those 4 wheelers looking for people smoking. I still smoke my pipe but just keep an eye open for them. I would think they wouldn't bust my balls too much since I am not dropping butts on the beach, but who knows, maybe they would drag me off to jail.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Who would enforce it? The police beach patrol, that's who. Police in NJ are voracious consumers of citizen's money in the form of fines. NJ police are as much a revenue generating agency as anything else. Almost as bad as NYC police, but not quite.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
But they've already named a town after you!
3476250_NJ_Voorhees.png

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's pretty much the situation in public places, even more so where there might be kids present. On a raw day in March, I doubt there'd be anyone to notice.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I confess to being a bit angered when my toddler son found a cigarette butt in the sand in the playground and began to play with it. I mean there was a damn waste (dust) bin right there! Also smoking was clearly prohibited. But now I think of smoking a pipe on the North Sea coast of Germany and Netherlands or on the Atlantic coast of Ireland. Or back in the states on the beaches of Oregon or Washington. These places practically scream for contemplation and a pipe.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I like to go down the shore in the fall and winter. It’s nice to walk on the beach and have a pipe...if you have a windscreen!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I thought they had already banned smoking? Or was that just in beach town parks? I was asked to not smoke my pipe at a park in Point Pleasant last year, by a friendly police officer. He said that he'd wander away,but be back in 30 minutes or so, just long enough to finish my pipe.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
When are they going to ban the damn sand? Geez, biggest bitch at the beach and they go for the cigarettes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What a mouth! But wrongness on both sides. Yech.
If an officious young (or old) cop told me I couldn't smoke on the beach or in the park, I'd put my pipe in my pocket and stroll away slowly. (Then pull it out while still lit if I was far enough away.)

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
They've banned smoking in parks in San Francisco, and when I visit my family there, I violate that law. I'm not the only one. Perhaps, I'm the only one smoking a pipe, but you get the picture.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
On the littering side, I admit I don't see anything with throwing trash around than open hostility. People will dump all the paper residue from a fast food meal on the line in the parking lot. There are bins and buckets everywhere, you barely have to think about it. So the cigarette butts are unforgivable. At the same time, it's really petty to rag people about it, but given the choice, ragging may be right. On the other hand, copping a pipe bowl back of the dunes and leaving only pre-biodegraded ash, "enforcement" is delusional. Cigarette smokers could, but don't, grind the cigarette out and carry it home in a pocket to drop in the trash, or in any bin. It's really not nice to dump on your fellow citizens.

Status
Not open for further replies.