New Hi-Rez Photos of the "Alien" Dunhill P (first 4 of 8)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I had to downsize the original thread's photos a lot to get the site software to accept all of them.

Since so many of you BritWood guys liked the pipe I thought I'd re-shoot it so you could see more detail (if you click on the photos they'll enlarge).

Four shots of this pixel count is the maximum number for bandwidth (storage?) reasons, so I broke them into two threads. This is first four of the eight:

P1040288.JPGP1040290.JPGP1040292.JPGP1040299.JPG

Last edited:

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Good grief, how can you stand it, seeing these stunningly beautiful pipes coming through your shop??

I’d be afraid I might abscond with them to desert island with 200 lbs of St Bruno Flake and never be seen again.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
George, beautiful work on a beautiful pipe. Thank you for sharing it. Looking at something like this is a particularly nice antidote to all the madness in the world today. I actually have the same pipe from a few decades later; ‘59, my birth year. Perversely enough I haven’t seen it in several years. Your post has inspired me to dig it up.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Thank you very much for sharing these photos! There's so much for the eyes to feast on here.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I'm the lucky owner of this pipe. Thanks, George, for posting this! You are a craftsman to the nth degree- all I can say is WOW!............. I can't wait to get this pipe in hand........
Here's a post from the way back machine............

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What a difference! This is the original from beef's link above, to make comparison of stems a tad easier.

AUtBcHb.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
What's going on here is Mr. Beefeater's bulldog originally had a stem with a swan neck profile, the way Dunhill cut 'em WAY back in the day, like this:
CK.png

...but which they stopped doing by the early/mid 1930's. (Why? Because it's very difficult as well as time consuming. Something cost accountants are born to eliminate.)

At some point in its life the pipe needed a new stem, though, and it was fitted with a molded replacement. A shape that for technical reasons was impossible to make look right. (Anyone interested can find the explanation here):

Public Service Message regarding authors & similar - pipemakersforum.com - http://www.pipemakersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12180

Mr. Beefeater, however, being a connoisseur of fine Britwood, wasn't havin' any. He wanted the pipe's stem to look legit for the period, and not be diminished by the flattened, relaxed approximation that came later.

And here we are. :col:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just gently pointing out that when that pipe was made and sold, Dunhill's were premium pipes, but didn't cost quite as much as Kaywoodies, I'd guess maybe $120 in today's USD, maybe somewhat less. Since then, Dunhill/White Spot elevated pricing exceeds even the lovely looks and quality of their product.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.