PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
Title edited for caps. Rule 9 Kraig Sederquist of SederCraft substituted per request -jpm

Managed to snag this pipe from Kraig Sederquist of SederCraft. I both absolutely loved it because it’s perfectly sized, a little smaller and the colors remind me of tobacco and coffee. It will be useful in studying for my new apparent hobby.

I love how nice briar has apparent “flaws” that have to be worked in. If I ever lost it and there were other pipes with identical shapes and colors I’d be able to say “yep, that one’s mine”. It’s a little more meaningful, everybody has scars. The Japanese call apparent imperfections wabisabi.

I was already learning Japanese hand tool woodworking so pipe making is a nice traditional counterpoint and possible source of income, I am a loner so it’s sort of like the stars aligned here. Of course I do it because I love the aesthetics and tobacco first and foremost, I cannot wait to explore this craft.

544BBC8D-BEC4-4703-AEB4-F00E29DF53C6.jpeg

A1DD8FFB-0CD0-48DD-AF1A-B7AC24A45560.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most pipes with irregularities are quite handsome in general, so I find these unintended spots often quite pleasing. In the same way, some aging on a pipe, and wear, are often good.

A properly done durable fill can be its own accent. I have some of the old Iwan Ries house pipes sourced from Edward's Benton brand with their durable fills, made of Algerian oil-cured briar and they only get better with time. Sometimes you just have to know a good thing when you see it.

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
Good luck to you. It doesn't take a genius to make a pipe but it can require some serious skills.
Good because I gave up on academia long ago. Studied some engineering and coding in college. Always hated it.

Walt Whitman’s “When I heard the learn'd astronomer” comes to mind. I find great pleasure in manifesting something physical with my hands. Money doesn’t matter to me, I just want to eat and buy tobacco.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Good because I gave up on academia long ago. Studied some engineering and coding in college. Always hated it.

Walt Whitman’s “When I heard the learn'd astronomer” comes to mind. I find great pleasure in manifesting something physical with my hands. Money doesn’t matter to me, I just want to eat and buy tobacco.
Not a bad philosophy, friend. ?

Kooky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2022
Florida
Not a bad philosophy, friend. ?
Tech has it’s place, how else could I post here. It’s just not a focus of mine anymore. I view tech as one big tool rather than each individual thing as it’s own segment. It’s also killed a lot in its path, no tobacco shops near me.

Tech has ruined community. Barely anything can be sustained on a local level anymore which goes against my entire lifestyle.

perfection is too sterile. Sterility means the lack of life.
this was the precise word I intended to use yet forgot to include.