PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
So I took a new Briar pipe I have and packed it with some SPC Mississippi River SR. Smoked well and only 2 relights but the flavor wasn't really there for me and got me thinking I made a mistake by buying multiple tins. As I went back to my Freelance art job I was doing I started thinking maybe I should've let the Tobacco sit out a little before I smoked it.

I took out a bowl amount of the same Tobacco and let it sit out for half an hour. The feeling of the tobacco definitely changed in that time. I packed it in a brand new Cob and smoked away. The taste definitely was better and I was happy. Only 1 relight this time but flavor and aroma was better.

My question is, was it the pipe or the dry time that enhanced my experience?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
That's strange. Usually, at least for me, little moisture means little more flavor. That's why people will say if you dry aro too much, the flavor will be less.

Reactions: eljimmy

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Too many variables are changing. That’s good, but don’t expect to nail it down for a while. There’s the pipe, the humidity of the blend, the humidity of the air in the room, the ph in your mouth (e.g., brush your teeth right before smoking and see what that’s like). Add in that your actual palate changes a ton over the first several months.

Keep trying different combinations but don’t expect to figure it out very quickly.

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
Too many variables are changing. That’s good, but don’t expect to nail it down for a while. There’s the pipe, the humidity of the blend, the humidity of the air in the room, the ph in your mouth (e.g., brush your teeth right before smoking and see what that’s like). Add in that your actual palate changes a ton over the first several months.

Keep trying different combinations but don’t expect to figure it out very quickly.
Oh I plan on trying different things for sure. Thank you for the reply

Reactions: Casual
That's why people will say if you dry aro too much, the flavor will be less.
Yes, but this applies to aros, not all tobaccos. The flavor from an aromatic comes from the topping sprayed on. If you dry it, the taste will evaporate. So, it is better to smoke an aromatic wet, so that it still has all of its added flavor.

Where as from a non-aromatic, the moisture is water. And, when smoked it turns to steam which hinders flavor perception of the tobaccos. Some like a little moisture, and some prefer to smoke them bone dry. I think the differences for people is their smoking techniques. I am really a slooooooow smoker, so I prefer no moisture at all in my non-aros, because I control how slow it smokes with my cadence and technique.

I've been smoking some Mississippi Mud lately, ad it definitely improves flavors for me to smoke it dry. It is interesting how it doesn't have that usual latakia flavor to it, but it has a lot of latakia. It is definitely a more balanced blend, IMO. So, the flavors are definitely more subtle.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Take your time with buying multiple tins. When you really settle into a particular blend that seldom lets you down, yeah... stock up. You’ll know it when you find it.

Even then, there are times when we simply aren’t tasting. That happens to everyone.

As for the drying? I don’t. And like most things Pipe and Tobacco, you’ll encounter opposing opinions and no one is wrong. Only you can determine what you like and in time you’ll fall into your personal groove.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Cosmic said, “Some like a little moisture, and some prefer to smoke them bone dry. I think the differences for people is their smoking techniques. I am really a slooooooow smoker, so I prefer no moisture at all in my non-aros, because I control how slow it smokes with my cadence and technique.”

This ☝️?
Absolutely

On Edit. No. I “do prefer” moisture in my Burley because I’m a sloooooow smoker and can control the coolness of my smoke. The moisture makes it taste richer, to me. I dislike dry tobacco.

If I can pinch it and it doesn’t clump... perfect.

If it crumbles into sawdust. No thank you.

Last edited:

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
So I took a new Briar pipe I have and packed it with some SPC Mississippi River SR. Smoked well and only 2 relights but the flavor wasn't really there for me and got me thinking I made a mistake by buying multiple tins. As I went back to my Freelance art job I was doing I started thinking maybe I should've let the Tobacco sit out a little before I smoked it.

I took out a bowl amount of the same Tobacco and let it sit out for half an hour. The feeling of the tobacco definitely changed in that time. I packed it in a brand new Cob and smoked away. The taste definitely was better and I was happy. Only 1 relight this time but flavor and aroma was better.

The answer to your question is possibly both. Or maybe neither. Some pipes, when new, don't seem to affect flavor whereas others do. Likewise drying tobacco, for better or worse, can affect flavor. Since you changed pipes and dry time it's hard to tell.

Experiment with dry times but keep them consistent between the two pipes so you judge more objectively. Also, you may very well notice a difference within one pipe after a half dozen to dozen smokes in it so keep that in mind.

Lastly, it has been my experience regardless of pipe type and/or condition and tobacco blend and/or dryness that smoking to fast produces too much heat and causes a loss of flavor. Try focusing on smoking slower and cooler to get more flavor although this may lead to more relights. I'd rather let things cool down and relight plus get more flavor.

Reactions: eljimmy and jpmcwjr

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale

Most on here will say it was the drying time, but it wasn't. Bottom line is that your taste buds didn't know what to expect for whatever reason...could be what you drank before you smoked, when you brushed your teeth, whatever. I go through this all the time: smoke a blend I've been smoking for years and for some reason, doesn't taste right...could be a new pipe, could be psychological (like I wanted something different in my head), whatever it is, don't worry about it...keep on smoking like you were. OCD never makes for a good smoking companion.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yes, but this applies to aros, not all tobaccos. The flavor from an aromatic comes from the topping sprayed on. If you dry it, the taste will evaporate. So, it is better to smoke an aromatic wet, so that it still has all of its added flavor.

Where as from a non-aromatic, the moisture is water. And, when smoked it turns to steam which hinders flavor perception of the tobaccos. Some like a little moisture, and some prefer to smoke them bone dry. I think the differences for people is their smoking techniques. I am really a slooooooow smoker, so I prefer no moisture at all in my non-aros, because I control how slow it smokes with my cadence and technique.

I've been smoking some Mississippi Mud lately, ad it definitely improves flavors for me to smoke it dry. It is interesting how it doesn't have that usual latakia flavor to it, but it has a lot of latakia. It is definitely a more balanced blend, IMO. So, the flavors are definitely more subtle.
latakia is kind of weird. It's not so much the concentration as what it's paired with. Some blends with low amounts taste so much of latakia and some heavy ones it's just tastes a little of latakia. It's almost as if the sense of taste is just weird.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
As to the OP’s experience, could also be the cob, surprised no one mentioned this. You are literally burning corn husk on the side of your bowl, that creates a sweetness. I prefer well seasoned Briar, less bowl taste, but I like cobs. Of course Meers and clays are another story, when it comes to bowl taste.

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
As to the OP’s experience, could also be the cob, surprised no one mentioned this. You are literally burning corn husk on the side of your bowl, that creates a sweetness. I prefer well seasoned Briar, less bowl taste, but I like cobs. Of course Meers and clays are another story, when it comes to bowl taste.
That makes sense for sure but I was definitely tasting more the tobacco than the first time. Guess I'll have to relax and experiment more. lol

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California

Thank you for the insight, I will for sure play with dry times. The first time it would clump a little, the second time with the half hour dry time didn't clump at all but wasn't bone dry of course.

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
Most on here will say it was the drying time, but it wasn't. Bottom line is that your taste buds didn't know what to expect for whatever reason...could be what you drank before you smoked, when you brushed your teeth, whatever. I go through this all the time: smoke a blend I've been smoking for years and for some reason, doesn't taste right...could be a new pipe, could be psychological (like I wanted something different in my head), whatever it is, don't worry about it...keep on smoking like you were. OCD never makes for a good smoking companion.
I also thought it was my taste buds adjusting to the second bowl in one night. I had smoked an aromatic last week and that to myself it was ok, on second smoke the next day it was much better. OCD is no good for sure, when I smoke I try not to think too much and relax.