PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctauburnfan

Lurker
Apr 19, 2018
Hello, all.

I've smoked cigars for years and recently started with the pipe -- and still have lots to learn.

If anyone has recommendations for where I can find pipes or tobacco in little ol Connecticut, please share. My regular cigar shop/lounge doesn't cater to pipe smokers and the shop in New Haven isn't always easy to get to. So fire away.

Thanks. Looking forward to the experience.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Cheers and welcome. I look forward to following along with you on this great forum.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome from a former Mass. and R.I guy. now living in Florida. If you are in Hartford there used to be a pretty good shop there were we used to hold some herfs back in the day. Did you ever attend those?

ctauburnfan

Lurker
Apr 19, 2018
Cigrmaster,

Ive been to the shop in downtown Hartford a few times but that was before I took up the pipe. I'll try to get there again. Thanks.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Here is a place to check out. Very nice folks there.
http://www.cvtobacco.com/home.html
:)

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
No help here on a local spot, but check out some of the forum sponsors, Pipes & Cigars and Smoking Pipes are both great places to start.

Welcome!

herrpfeifen

Lurker
Feb 28, 2018
I work in midtown Manhattan. I can remember not all that long ago (10 years? 12? This was during the last gasps of the cigar boom) I could stroll out of the office at lunchtime and make my way to Barclay Rex, Arnold's, Nat Sherman, Davidoff, Connoisseur, and De La Concha. Each place had many beautiful pipes on display and a tobacco selection somewhere between decent-to-great. J&R Cigar was also nearby and had large cases of pipe tobacco downstairs (Dunhill, Rattray, McClelland and more). Even the head shops would sometimes have an overpriced Don Carlos in the display next to the hookah.
Davidoff bought out De La Concha and the pipe activity there is greatly reduced. Inventory is not even a quarter of what they used to have. Besides the house brand pipes it looks like they are just selling through what came with the purchase. Nat Sherman has one little case – maybe 20 pipes total. All the other stores have closed.

My point is that even near the "crossroads of the world" there are only two and the pickings are scant. Internet commerce has killed the rest.
I was in the Owl Shop maybe 10 years ago and I remember thinking then that their selection was awfully thin. Maybe things have changed since but not to look at their website. The word 'pipe' doesn't appear once.
We live (for now) in the golden age of shopping online. I think your best bet is to deal with reputable, out-of-state vendors. Order a few pipes, examine them at home at your convenience, and ship back the ones you don't care to keep. Grab a couple of cheap cobs while you're at it to round out your rotation.

Good luck!

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
Connecticut Valley is great up near Enfield. Last time I was there they had lots of vauen pipes.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Try:
"New England Pipe Works", and "4Noggins Pipes and Tobacco"-Bethany, CT. Both have web-sites. If I remember correctly, there was a very old tobacconist/pipe store near Yale/New Haven....but I cannot remember the name. "Owl Shop"..??????
Do a search, there's probably more tobacco shops around. Try: Wilke Tobacco/Providence, RI (I think)....if it's not too far from your manse.
Welcome...have fun searching around. There's also a tobacconist/cigar lounge in Danbury, CT "Buttheads"
Frank

NYC

ctauburnfan

Lurker
Apr 19, 2018
Thanks lincolnsbark. I'll check it out.
herrpfeifen,

I kinda figured what you're saying about online shopping is true. Too bad. Nothing like speaking to a human when you have questions.

About 10 years ago I walked all over the area around Madison Square Garden, while my wife was at a concert, looking for a place to sit and have a cigar. I never found anything.

I appreciate the tips.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'burnfan, welcome aboard. My two fondest memories of Connecticut are picnicking on the porch of the Eugene O'Neil house (the playwright's family home) on the Connecticut shore, and visiting the Samuel Clemens mansion, built on the high wave of a lucrative literary career, in Hartford. Though it was later the scene of various family tragedies and Clemens' financial decline and struggle to stay afloat on the speaking circuit, it has the aura of those early years raising his family when everything came up roses, for a while. The picnic on the O'Neil porch was a sort of favor, not part of the usual tour. We had brought the picnic, and they let us do it, bless 'em. We left the area spotless, I hope.

ctauburnfan

Lurker
Apr 19, 2018
mso489, that sounds like a terrific time. I pass by Twain's house several times a week but haven't had a chance to stop and see it yet. Beautiful parts of this tiny little state but I'm a Florida native and winter here lasts way, way, way too long. My trees still aren't budding.

doverpipes

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2011
Welcome aboard!

I live near Kent, CT.

The nearest B&M shop in the area is Buttheads in Danbury, CT.

Kevin Paige is the owner and he is a great guy.

He is in the process of opening up and resurrecting the "Hat City Ale House".

Kevin plans to have cigar and pipe smoking in the restaurant / bar areas! (grandfathered establishment / licensee)

The opening is getting closer. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

ctauburnfan

Lurker
Apr 19, 2018
Doverpipes,

That sounds great if he can get the grandfather exemption. Shame more places can't do that.
I was in downtown New Haven last night and stopped in Owl Shop. Even though it was crowded and loud (at night it's basically a bar where people can smoke) a guy working there, who smokes a pipe, was nice enough to help me out and talk a little bit. I bought a couple of the shop's blends (Mystique and Capt. Courageous). If I can get there during the day when it's quiet, it should be better. The pipe area is a little corner and I saw some pipes in a dark cabinet.

Status
Not open for further replies.