Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dadbobcat77

Lurker
Oct 1, 2022
I was browsing the forums the other day and noticed there's a guy on here from central Nebraska. I thought, holy smokes, this guy is just 25 miles north of me.
I have a small collection of pipes, some cheap Dr Grabow pipes, a Stanwell, a Baraccini Mare Blu smooth, and a number of no name pipes. so far, John Bull and Casey Jones are my favorites, and Carter Hall is one of my daily go to tobaccos. there's a cigar bar where I live, and they allow pipe smoking in there. I think they have some kind of pipe club on thursdays. I haven't seen many other pipe smokers out in the wild recently. a retired high school choir teacher, and a friend of mine will bring his briar over once in a while. I look forward to chatting about different pipe tobaccos on here

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina. In college, where we first met, my wife and I both had classes with the Nebraska poet laureate John Neihardt, the poet laureate of Nebraska and author of many books including Black Elk Speaks, who taught at University of Missouri at Columbia, Mo. I think he was in his nineties by then, with long white hair, and he looked like he had stepped right out of a Civil War photograph. Unless you knew about him, he gave the impression of a hallucination. He was a wonderful raconteur and won over the most hard-nosed literary types, a visionary and a mystic.

Reactions: Buffalo and weezell

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina. In college, where we first met, my wife and I both had classes with the Nebraska poet laureate John Neihardt, the poet laureate of Nebraska and author of many books including Black Elk Speaks, who taught at University of Missouri at Columbia, Mo. I think he was in his nineties by then, with long white hair, and he looked like he had stepped right out of a Civil War photograph. Unless you knew about him, he gave the impression of a hallucination. He was a wonderful raconteur and won over the most hard-nosed literary types, a visionary and a mystic.
Interestingly, I lived in one of his houses in Wayne Ne. For a couple of yrs when I was a kid. I believe Ol' John G was associated with Wayne State U for a while.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
crusader, amazing you lived in a J. Neihardt house as a kid. I think his birthplace is some kind of Neihardt museum, but offhand I'm not sure where that one is.