PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayashi7

Lurker
Jun 10, 2019
Dear Fellow Pipesmokers,
I started piprsmoking more than 20 years ago, a friend of mine wanted a birthday present so we got him a Dunhill pipe, I then got myself a Big Ben pipe so we could smoked together in our office (when smoking was a norm then). I can’t remember which tobacco we bought from Dunhill, I was hooked and I went from Big Ben to Savinelli to Peterson and one day I met Bill Ashton Taylor by chance, that was the beginning of my Ashton pipes smoking. I became a regular to his house and his garden shed where he made his pipes. I stopped smoking altogether after a few years due to my health. A childhood friend of mine recently took up the habit and we started chatting over how to start pipe smoking. I then found out Bill died about 10 years ago and felt really guilty for not maintaining contact with him. another fiend of mine visited me and bought me one of my fav Peterson Sunset, I then dugged out my pipe collections and found many of the stems have oxidised, which led me to this forum as I was researching on how to clean the stems. I am not an experienced pipe smoker nor am I a collector. I am here hoping to learn from you gentlemen about various tobaccos. This is also own way to remember Bill Taylor, the guy who introduced me to the ‘nutty’ taste.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Welcome aboard! Plenty of good conversation here to absorb. Enjoy! I took 18 years off and just returned to the pipe in January. Haven't looked back. :puffy:

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Welcome from FL. I had the pleasure of meeting Bill Taylor quite a few years ago. One of pipings greats.
On vulcanite stems, thick oxidation can be initially scraped with a razor at an angle. I would follow that up with high grit micro abrasion sanding files/paper. I would conclude with a nice rub down of Obsidian oil with a micro-fiber towel. I am sure others will have alternative suggestions.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Welcome. A word of advice, old Ashton pipes are not the kind of pipes you want to "learn" on, they're fairly collectable. Maybe get in touch with Jimmy Craig.
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Ashton
:)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome! Lots of Londons in the US, but the original one in England is my favorite.
Before serious restoration of the vulcanite, a quick rub down with a tiny amount of mineral oil will work wonders with a minimum of elbow grease. (Obsidian oil is several times more expensive than food grade mineral oil, and is not superior).

hayashi7

Lurker
Jun 10, 2019
Thank you for the welcome and messages! Still trying to get my head around the forum, too many interesting things to read and learn from you gentlemen! Thank for for the advice on the oxidation, will have to find some decent mineral oil and a few hours to sit down and polish the stems.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Welcome from Alaska. Quite something to have spent so much time with a great man in the history of pipes. I have a beautiful Ashton pebble grain dublin that I absolutely love.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thank you for the welcome and messages! Still trying to get my head around the forum, too many interesting things to read and learn from you gentlemen! Thank for for the advice on the oxidation, will have to find some decent mineral oil and a few hours to sit down and polish the stems.
The mineral oil application on a dozen pipes takes literally a couple of minutes. If you want a very shiny stem, other methods and several hours will be required.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from Raleigh, N.C., named after Sir Walter. I've been to your splendid city twice. Climbed St.Paul's dome to the lantern, among many other adventures.

Status
Not open for further replies.