PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MyCombOver

Lurker
May 15, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Hello pipe experts. I know one of you can help me. I just bought a Grabow Viking cheap on the Fleabay. One problem - I can’t remove the bowl. I know it is threaded and should unscrew, but I’ve given it what I think is the most force I possibly can without bending the aluminum base and it still won’t come off. It does wiggle left and right just a tiny amount, so it doesn’t seem to be stuck, though it does look pretty grimy where the bowl connects to the base. Any ideas? Is it just lefty loosey and give it hell?
8FC88B8D-5DEE-4931-B0FA-51B37B59BC1A.jpeg

Reactions: kcghost

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Dump alcohol in it and keep it at like a 45 degree angle. Leave it for an hour or two and try it again. That should soften it up.

This is the reason I've never smoke a pipe like that. With the way I build cake, I fear it would seize the bowl.

Reactions: MyCombOver

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
In addition to ^^^^, also pour rubbing alcohol down the stem/shank and run a pipe-cleaner back and forth... repeat until you are certain it is as clean as can be. If it is still challenging after all that, put it in the freezer for 30 minutes. When you take it out of the freezer, firmly continue to work the bowl off repeatedly. As it thaws over 3-4 minutes you should have success.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
In addition to ^^^^, also pour rubbing alcohol down the stem/shank and run a pipe-cleaner back and forth... repeat until you are certain it is as clean as can be. If it is still challenging after all that, put it in the freezer for 30 minutes. When you take it out of the freezer, firmly continue to work the bowl off repeatedly. As it thaws over 3-4 minutes you should have success.
freezer should do it.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I have cleaned many of these over the years. I have never had a bowl that did not turn out counter clockwise. There is nothing obstructing that is pipe related. It has to be gunk or whatever, hell someone may have even glued it. Try a heat gun, any of the soak methods should work. I always try heat first, seems like it would mimic smoking it. I then move to a plain water soak at first and then move to alcohol if I must. I just use enough to fill the bottom of the bowl / metal part.

MyCombOver

Lurker
May 15, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Humble. The freezer for an hour got it loose enough to turn. It’s free!

Reactions: username