PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Glad to see you here, WP -- this is Scott from just up the road in Niagara.

I can definitely inundate you with many more VAs to try (although many are flakes). VAs are usually my favorites, and I have most of the best on hand.

I know that you were interested in Nightcap. I have only the Sutliff Match on hand, which isn't as good as the Peterson version. You can't go wrong with a tin of the Peterson stuff.

I don't like overmuch vitamin N, myself, so I'll let others direct you to high nic blends. The only one I've got is War Horse Bar, but you said that you don't like anise, and there is a bit of that flavor in WHB.

Many folks here will recommend that you just get a bunch of 1 oz. bulk samples from some place like Pipes & Cigars (perfunctory disclaimer: P&C is not a sponsor here and is not as classy an act as SmokingPipes). That's a good way to start.

Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: Streeper541

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Hello all! I just began my pipe smoking journey about a week ago. I come from a background of 25 years of steady cigarettes (I quit last year), some hookah, and cigars on special occasions. I have no good pipe shop near me as my family is fairly out of the way on a little modern homestead. But I was able to get a good cobb and a pack of Peterson Wild Atlantic. I am also blessed enough to have a friend who is knowledgeable about pipes and he gave me a few samples to try. Whiskey Biscuit Gravy, Christmas Cookie, Vanilla Roll Cake, Super Balkan, Capstan Blue. I've realized that while I don't hate the aromatics, they will have their place like if I'm smoking inside or around my wife, I much prefer my tobacco to taste like tobacco. I enjoyed the Capstan Blue the most. It seems to my inexperienced taste, mild and pleasant and could be smoked all day. Although the Peterson Wild Atlantic isn't bad like I expected it to be. I smoke 2-3 pipes a day.

So now I'm sitting here at my computer wondering what I should buy. I still need to also find something good and deep with a high nicotine for me to smoke around the campfire we have some nights. *sigh* I have so many questions. I'm still looking for a good online article to explain the different tobacco classes. I'd like to particularly read about Virginias as I believe that's what the Capstan Blue is.
Well, sorry if this intro went on a bit long!
Take your time and enjoy. I'm a noob but I believe everything matter and effects the smoke:
Pipe
Age of tobacco
Type of tobacco
How you smoke
moisture
How you pack
Type/blend
Consider it all a learned experience. Go slow and find whats best for you. I'm still testing/tasting/enjoying. If you try something you don't like, stop. Try it again next week. Your tastes and preferences will change.

Reactions: PA Piper Mike
Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Take your time and enjoy. I'm a noob but I believe everything matter and effects the smoke:
Pipe
Age of tobacco
Type of tobacco
How you smoke
moisture
How you pack
Type/blend
Consider it all a learned experience. Go slow and find whats best for you. I'm still testing/tasting/enjoying. If you try something you don't like, stop. Try it again next week. Your tastes and preferences will change.
On top of that... if you don't like the tobacco at all, jar it and try it again in a year or 2 after it gets some age. And if after some age you still don't like it, hold onto it. You may be able to trade with someone who loves it.

Reactions: clynch