PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There are no pipe sympathetic folks in my region that I know. I don't understand it. But, nothing comes close in flavor range provided by pipe tobacco. I need to learn more.
Welcome!

Where is your region?

Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why: It will save time for others as to where you live when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts, and for you in not having to reply to inquiries. .
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
My impression, entirely anecdotal, of course. is based on many visits to friends in the Bay area. No one I know and no one they know smokes anything other than occasional weed. When I smoke a pipe or a cigar, I'm left on my own. Is it fear of outdoor second hand smoke or a message of disapproval, I don't know. And these are old friends of my wife and me, whom we love. They see me as an amusing throwback to the pre-enlightenment decades of the last century. In fairness, smoking isn't exactly welcomed in NYC either. I'm aware that Drucquer and Sons, where Greg Pease learned his craft, moved its shop to Berkeley in the 1920s so pipe smoking must not always have been frowned upon. Because I bring my own supplies, I have no idea whether there are any remaining true pipe shops in the Bay area these days. In any case, I didn't mean to give offense. I'd be happy to be enlightened if my impression of NorCal is unfair.

Edwoooo

Lurker
Jun 17, 2022
Valley Springs, California
My impression, entirely anecdotal, of course. is based on many visits to friends in the Bay area. No one I know and no one they know smokes anything other than occasional weed. When I smoke a pipe or a cigar, I'm left on my own. Is it fear of outdoor second hand smoke or a message of disapproval, I don't know. And these are old friends of my wife and me, whom we love. They see me as an amusing throwback to the pre-enlightenment decades of the last century. In fairness, smoking isn't exactly welcomed in NYC either. I'm aware that Drucquer and Sons, where Greg Pease learned his craft, moved its shop to Berkeley in the 1920s so pipe smoking must not always have been frowned upon. Because I bring my own supplies, I have no idea whether there are any remaining true pipe shops in the Bay area these days. In any case, I didn't mean to give offense. I'd be happy to be enlightened if my impression of NorCal is unfair.
I know. Last weekend I made a trip to Bay area, and it will be my last. Besides being filthy, smelly, expensive, almost every person mainly from female persuasion that walked by while I was smoking either gave me a dirty look or made a comment making sure I knew I was violating an environmental creed they hold to as a sacrament. Interestingly, weed is the only priestly sanctioned holy offering.